Author Topic: Virginian Taylor Family  (Read 791 times)

Offline buckyb

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Virginian Taylor Family
« on: Wednesday 25 July 18 07:38 BST (UK) »
Hi All
Greetings from Australia

My ggg Grandmother was Mary Ann Taylor born C1800 in Liverpool, Lancashire, UK.
As far as I can ascertain her parents were Henry Taylor (Mariner) and Jane Kellick.
Mary married in London and migrated to Australia with her husband in 1838, on her arrival she claimed both of her parents were dead. On her death certificate her father was listed as Taylor, Master Mariner, there was no mention of her mother.

I have many dna matches with the Taylor family of Virginia going back to James Taylor (1675-1729) and Martha Thompson (1679-1762). In particular the strongest dna readings are with their grandson Richard Lee Taylor, born Rapidan,Orange, Virginia (c1742-1829) and his wife Sarah Strother.

I am working on the theory that the two families are somehow connected. Other information that makes me think this are:
 Mary and her husband were associated with the Episcopalian Church in Australia, this is unusual for someone coming to Australia from Britain, particularly as her husband was of German descent. I believe that the Episcopalian Church is of USA origin.
 Liverpool was a thriving port and was one of the main shipping ports for the export of tobacco from Virginia to the UK.
 Records indicate that Mary Ann's father was a Mariner and there was a naval and tobacco history with the Virginian Taylor family.

I was hoping someone may know if one of the Taylor clan was a merchant seaman who travelled to the UK around 1800 and who may have had a "girl" in two ports.

As the Virginian Taylor family is quite large I am having difficulty in pinpointing any likely connection. I know that this is probable a long shot but any help or comments would be most appreciated.

buckyb
Barron,Crosby,Dunn,Gallagher, Larkin, McApion, Owers, Perry,Swinburn,Tanko,Whitford

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Virginian Taylor Family
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 25 July 18 08:48 BST (UK) »
Mary and her husband were associated with the Episcopalian Church in Australia, this is unusual for someone coming to Australia from Britain, particularly as her husband was of German descent. I believe that the Episcopalian Church is of USA origin.

The Episcopal Church in Australia in Anglican as is the Church of England-
https://www.episcopalchurch.org/anglican-province/anglican-church-australia
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline buckyb

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 25 July 18 10:25 BST (UK) »
Hi aghadowey

We have crossed paths on my Robert Ross Rowan problem, many thanks again for you interest in both queries.

I think the Episcoplian Church was formed in the USA as their citizens didn't want to swear allegiance to the British Monachy. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Episcopal_Church_(United_States).

In Australia I would say that the majority of people today, let alone 1800s, would have heard of the Church. I agree it is part of the worldwide Anglican Church, however in Australia the main Anglican Churches that people relate to are the Church of England, The Presbyterian Church and the Methodist Church.

In my opinion I would think that the Australians of the mid 1800s would have been mainly Catholic or Church of England. Those following Churches such as the Episcopal would have had some connection with the USA, the same as Germans would have had to the Lutheran Church.

Rod
Barron,Crosby,Dunn,Gallagher, Larkin, McApion, Owers, Perry,Swinburn,Tanko,Whitford

Offline buckyb

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 26 July 18 01:15 BST (UK) »
Sorry in my last post I said "In Australia I would say that the majority of people today, let alone 1800s, would have heard of the Church." It was meant to read "would not have heard of the Church".