Author Topic: Newcastle Upon Tyne looking for names of children  (Read 2005 times)

Offline iolaus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Newcastle Upon Tyne looking for names of children
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 28 July 18 22:10 BST (UK) »
From before 1911 you have to use https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/Login.asp to get mothers maiden name

You have to register but it's free

So Maria's parents are PROBABLY
Thomas Gascoigne and Isabella Tear who married in Newcastle in 1893

Alexanders are PROBABLY
William Edward McKee Chicken and Margaret Ann Couley who married in Newcastle in 1893

Offline Finscar08

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 28 July 18 23:10 BST (UK) »
Thank you once again for this information.
I will look at the 1911 Census over the weekend hopefully

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 02 August 18 19:01 BST (UK) »

When did they start evacuating children from Newcastle - could the older ones have gone with the school? and that be why not on the system

Most were evacuated in August 1939, a month prior to when the 1939 register was compiled, so yes they may well have been evacuated.

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/NBL/Evacuation

Which, if you have time, is well worth a read to get an idea of how what a huge undertaking it was.

Boo

Offline Finscar08

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 02 August 18 21:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Boo
Thank you for taking the time to send the information. I have looked at the Genuki link and it is fascinating how many children were evacuated and where they went. Certainly worth a read this link for anybody interested in the Evacuations.
Thank you once again.

Margaret

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 03 August 18 11:16 BST (UK) »
I use Family Search extensively to find info. You need to sign up for a free account (only info required is a name and an email address).

https://www.familysearch.org 
Along the top, click on Search: Records. On the search form, enter Alexander Chicken and click on Search.

Then use the filter options on the left hand side
Birthplace: UK & Ireland: England:Northumberland
Birth year: 1900

Then you will see a transcript of Alexander's baptism record.

Click on the icon to the far right (looks like a piece of paper with lines on it) and you get this:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NFGC-WYL

Which gives a transcript of the barebones details - there may be more in the original record.

Click the down arrow next to Document Information and it says the info was transcribed from LDS film no. 1564752, item 5 page 13

Go to Search: Catalogue and put that film no into the search box, it brings up a list of what is on that microfilm - click on Items 3-5: Parish registers of Walker 1848-1941 and you get this:

https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/469263?availability=Family%20History%20Library

Third item on that list shows that this set has been digitised (camera icon on the far right)
Unfortunately this is one of the record sets that, because of the agreement with the holders of the original registers, the camera icon also has a key icon, which means its only viewable if you visit an LDS Family History centre, unless you are a church member.

Rinse and repeat the above for the Parents' names - I usually just use first names in the search so William Chicken  then spouse Margaret, filter by marriage place and a rough time frame.

Rinse and repeat again for surname Chicken (no first name) parents William and Margaret, then filter by birthplace and time frame may well lead you to siblings for Alexander.

Some records are digitised and viewable from home, it all depends on the agreement the LDS have with the holders of the records. Its always worth checking the catalogue to see if you can see it from home.

If not and you are not near enough to visit the archives which hold the records, look here:
https://www.familysearch.org/locations/ to see if there is a FHC near you. I am not a church member but visit our local one about twice a month. I take a list of what I want to see and am allowed to print the record or save it to a usb stick. All free, the various centres I have used over the years are staffed by volunteers who have been welcoming and helpful. Their pcs also have access to sites such as Ancestry, FindMyPast etc.

Apologies if you already know all that  - and it looks quite complicated written down but the where and how to search is, in my view, really useful. Once you've searched for a few you can do it very quickly and get a 'feel' for it.

Boo

Offline Finscar08

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 04 August 18 13:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Boo
I have looked at Family Search before probably like so many other people and never used Family Search to it's full potential. The View Button, Camera Icon, LDS Film Number etc hold so much information. If you had not sent me this post I would of never investigated Family Search in such detail. Thank you for helping me with this as I am sure anybody else reading this may also question if they are looking at everything on Family Search available. Thank you once again.

Regards
Margaret

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 04 August 18 13:09 BST (UK) »
Pleased it helps.
My golden rule is 'firkle round any available database as much as possible' you never know what gems you may find by using a slightly different way to look :-)

Boo

Offline Finscar08

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 04 August 18 13:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Boo
I have just ordered the paperback book Unofficial Guide to FamilySearch.org. This will definitely be bedtime reading I will look forward to my book delivery hopefully next week.

Margaret