Author Topic: Edinburgh Castle Garison 1888-1902  (Read 287 times)

Offline CUMBERLAND SAUSAGE

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Edinburgh Castle Garison 1888-1902
« on: Thursday 26 July 18 09:23 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to find out which Regiments were garisoned at Edinburgh Castle 1888-1902. I have tried contacting the Castle but don't get any response. Has anyone any ideas how to find this information?

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Edinburgh Castle Garison 1888-1902
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 July 18 10:14 BST (UK) »
If you have access to any of the newspaper archives on line, careful searching with the term Edinburgh Castle should produce the answer.
Random results:
January 1888 Seaforth Highlanders
New Year 1900 3rd Battalion Gordon Highlanders
New Year 1902 Detachments of the Black Watch and the Scottish Horse.

A cross check with "Stations of the Army" works up to 1900.

That said, in common with all garrisons, there would not have been only men from one single regiment stationed there.  Indeed, at the time of the Boer War, the castle was used to assemble volunteers from all sorts.

May I ask what the aim is?

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 26 July 18 23:18 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for your reply I will follow up what you suggest.
The reason I ask is because my grandmother was born in Edinburgh Barracks(1902), this is what she always told us and the 1910 Census appears to confirm this, and that is as far as I can get with that Branch of my family. in the 1910 census my GGM was a widow staying with a family called Pigford who have South African connections, which made me think the Boer war was involved, but only soldiers killed in action are listed, those who died if illness are not, and there were many more of them
 Her marriage certificate(1919) shows here father was deceased and had been a serving Soldier.
I have written to the Edinburgh records office, but they could not help, sadly no response from the castle.
There is also a connection with the Windrem family on North East of England where my GM and her Mother lived for a number of years after my GGF's death. The other problem is my GGF's name I think every boy in the family was called the same, Archibald Thomas Patterson Scougall. I can find a number of them, but not sure if they are my GGF, Some have wives with SIMILAR names to my GGM which adds to the confusion.
Sorry for the long winded reply, but cutting it shorter wasn't possible

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 27 July 18 00:08 BST (UK) »
Can you post your GGM details?
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 27 July 18 00:14 BST (UK) »
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 27 July 18 03:25 BST (UK) »
Thank again for this reply. I did make a similar enquiry and it would appear that there was several replies I did not know about, which is embarrassing.
I am sure that my GGM was born Margaret Ann Young, possibly in the Norwich area, in 1883(No luck with searches there. Her father was called John Henry Young and was a Policeman in the North East of England. No luck searching those records.
After the death of my GGF my GGM appears to have moved to the North East where she married a man called Thomas Cutter. His surname was added  to my GM's name giving her the grand title of Margaret Winifred Windra(e?)m Patterson Scougal (Cutter). I can't find out if that Marriage failed, but both ladies moved from Shiremoor to live in Cockermouth Cumberland. Windrem is a popular name in the Shiremoor area???
My GGF was called Archibald Thomas Patterson Scougal(l) As was 90% of the Scougal Clan born on both sides of the England Scotland Border. For that reason I think the Army search would be the surest way of finding information about him.
There is another of that ilk who married a Lady called Margaret Ann Chambers. That is not him.
My GM was an only child.
It will take me a few days to go through the other postings to see what they have said.
Again thank you for your reply,
Regards,
David Thompson