Author Topic: ATA records  (Read 143 times)

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
ATA records
« on: Thursday 26 July 18 13:38 BST (UK) »
Just been reading about the death (25 July ‘18) of WW2 ATA pilot Mary Ellis and it reminded me of a lady i worked with many years ago. She too was an ATA pilot during the war and while she is not related to me, i would love to see if there is anything about her online anywhere. She died a few years ago now, and like with many family historians, i wish i’d asked her more about her life. Sadly i only know her married name (Davies) and that she was known as Kay as she hated her actual Christian names (Letitia Mary, or May).

Any suggestions welcome 😀 
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: ATA records
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 July 18 14:46 BST (UK) »
The book “Spitfire Women” cites Maidenhead heritage centre as having a lot of ata records

http://maidenheadheritage.org.uk/ata-stories-diaries/

I have searched the book index but without a surname cannot pin anything down

139 women pilots survived, so not too many to search :)

Mike

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 26 July 18 14:55 BST (UK) »
There is also the air transport auxiliary association website, they have a Facebook page and some links on their page,
There may also be some info at the imperial war museum.

Lettice curtis’s book “the forgotten pilots”. Foulis 1971 is cited as a good source.

Mike

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 26 July 18 15:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks Mike, i’ll have a look at those tonight. I tried to find her marriage a while back, and she had a son too,  but no luck.
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....