Author Topic: ATA records  (Read 469 times)

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
ATA records
« on: Thursday 26 July 18 13:38 BST (UK) »
Just been reading about the death (25 July ‘18) of WW2 ATA pilot Mary Ellis and it reminded me of a lady i worked with many years ago. She too was an ATA pilot during the war and while she is not related to me, i would love to see if there is anything about her online anywhere. She died a few years ago now, and like with many family historians, i wish i’d asked her more about her life. Sadly i only know her married name (Davies) and that she was known as Kay as she hated her actual Christian names (Letitia Mary, or May).

Any suggestions welcome 😀 
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: ATA records
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 July 18 14:46 BST (UK) »
The book “Spitfire Women” cites Maidenhead heritage centre as having a lot of ata records

http://maidenheadheritage.org.uk/ata-stories-diaries/

I have searched the book index but without a surname cannot pin anything down

139 women pilots survived, so not too many to search :)

Mike

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 26 July 18 14:55 BST (UK) »
There is also the air transport auxiliary association website, they have a Facebook page and some links on their page,
There may also be some info at the imperial war museum.

Lettice curtis’s book “the forgotten pilots”. Foulis 1971 is cited as a good source.

Mike

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 26 July 18 15:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks Mike, i’ll have a look at those tonight. I tried to find her marriage a while back, and she had a son too,  but no luck.
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....