Author Topic: GEDMATCH - Random Native American & Siberian results?  (Read 1312 times)

Offline nbourkie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
GEDMATCH - Random Native American & Siberian results?
« on: Thursday 26 July 18 14:24 BST (UK) »
Hi All,
I recently uploaded my LivingDNA data to GEDmatch and for the most part, the results matched up but Native American/Amerindian and Siberian have been showing up in a few of the options.

My father is European (UK & Irish heritage) and mother is Thai & Chinese (SE Asian, Chinese & some Indian heritage). I don't have any American ancestors that I know of, is it possible some of my Asian heritage is being placed into American & Siberian?

Locations: Australia, UK & Ireland
Bourke (Tipperary), Loveday (Essex), Wigney, Wride (Bristol), McLucas (Isle of Mull), Wallwork, Owens (County Cavan), Grist, Pettitt, Parkes, Peachman, Milton (London), Johnson, Cook, Jeyne (Welsh border?), Bayman, Connolly, Spence

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: GEDMATCH - Random Native American & Siberian results?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 July 18 14:45 BST (UK) »
You didn't specify what percentage was native American etc, if less than 5% i would ignore it as noise.

As you have said you have Asian ancestry that may be the answer to where your native American is coming from, the native Americans who crossed the land bridge from Asia to Alaska were after all Asians.

It is very difficult to tell what actually is native American as there is not a big enough reference sample yet, also the native American practice of "adopting" people from here there and everywhere and inter breeding with them can throw out spurious indications of what a native American may be.

There is also the factor that some native Americans are now thought to be the descendants of people who crossed across from Europe at the end of the last ice age, by creeping along the retreating ice sheet across the Atlantic. Needless to say your results will not say what type of native American you may be i.e. a descendant of those that came from Asia or those that came from Europe and as you will appreciate that is quite a difference.

In short there are lots of articles out there and it is very difficult to say what is actually a native American and what is not.
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.