Author Topic: Church of Ireland & Catholic Marriages  (Read 2219 times)

Offline xpress4

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Church of Ireland & Catholic Marriages
« on: Thursday 26 July 18 15:29 BST (UK) »
Can anyone tell me how common it was for a Church of Ireland person to marry a Catholic?

In the case of such a marriage, in which parish would the ceremony mostly likely take place? Or was it always the bride's or always the groom's parish? Also, in what religion would they raise their children?

Thank you!
MOORE, LAW, SANDFORD, DELANEY

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
Re: Church of Ireland & Catholic Marriages
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 July 18 15:51 BST (UK) »
It has always happened, common or not is another thing and would depend on them and their families.

My cousin CoI married a RC girl, they married in the CoI church and migrated, both families supported them and their marriage.
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline conahy calling

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 26 July 18 16:16 BST (UK) »
https://pure.qub.ac.uk/portal/files/13821188/queenswp.pdf

Link about mixed marriages before WW1 in Ireland.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 26 July 18 19:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the link. It touches on trends later in 20thC as well.  Footnotes mention stipulations re mixed marriage issued by Catholic Church at various times.
Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 26 July 18 20:15 BST (UK) »
Can anyone tell me how common it was for a Church of Ireland person to marry a Catholic?

In the case of such a marriage, in which parish would the ceremony mostly likely take place? Or was it always the bride's or always the groom's parish? Also, in what religion would they raise their children?

Thank you!

It's a complex question. Factors influencing answers include when, where, who.

When: Pre civiation of marriages in Ireland, a marrriage between C of I and Catholic had to take place in a Church of Ireland to be legal.
Where: As is pointed out in the Queen's University paper in conahy calling's link, occurrence differed by province, for several reasons.

Traditional wedding venue was bride's parish but in case of a mixed marriage not necessarily at the bride's church. It would have depended on the particular couple, their families, attitudes of clergy in their respective parishes, official stance of the C. of I. and R.C Churches then in force, feelings in local community.

Evidence suggests that children were more likely to be baptised into mother's denomination. Analysis of 1911 census in the Queen's University paper found the percentage to be much higher for children of a mixed marriage in which the mother was R.C. than if she was C. of I. However, according to (English) Family Law at the time, religious upbringing of children was the father's choice.

Complicating any of these answers is the possibility that one spouse converted before the wedding or at a later date. Other complications would be which partner felt more strongly about their religion and how they were influenced by their respective families. There might be influence from an employer as well.

Edit. Sentence in 2nd paragraph should be "Pre civil registration of marriages in Ireland...."
When I tried to alter it letters began disappearing.  ???
Cowban

Offline xpress4

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 26 July 18 22:36 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the link and the wonderful additional information!

It's muddy water for sure now, but at least I know what I'm up against. Tying to locate the marriage of a Catholic groom and a Church of Ireland bride in the 1830's when I don't know where the bride came from. If they had to marry in the Church of Ireland church, knowing where to search is going to be a challenge.

Thanks again!
MOORE, LAW, SANDFORD, DELANEY

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 26 July 18 23:21 BST (UK) »
See if Irish Genealogy Toolkit has  any advice.
https://www.irish-genealogy-toolkit.com/
Cowban

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Cowban