Author Topic: WDYTYA Boy George  (Read 3061 times)

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
WDYTYA Boy George
« on: Thursday 26 July 18 15:45 BST (UK) »
Many apologies if this is a duplicate.

Whilst scanning my 'unread posts' section, I THOUGHT I saw a reference to the new WDYTYA episode for Boy George.

So having a little time to spare this afternoon, I looked at the episode and returned here to see what everyone thought.   However despite using the SEARCH box I've been unable to find the thread.

Did I make it up?

Anyhow, just wanted to say that it was very interesting, the documents were just amazing - cannot imagine how I would feel if such things were available for my ancestors - and it made me cry.

Oh goodness, whatever the difficulties, we are all very lucky living now rather than back then.

Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
Re: WDYTYA Boy George
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 July 18 16:01 BST (UK) »
Yes I cried too  ---  Very interesting story line..  and I loved him with his Aunt gently singing.. but I have Always liked him..

xin

Offline Rishile

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 26 July 18 16:30 BST (UK) »
I liked this one too.  I didn't cry but I was close.  I thought he was very good - not too obviously emotional but enough to make you realise he was very moved.  I thought he was also very respectful at the cemetery and got it just right.  I was surprised how much 'family' meant to him.

One thing I wondered though - would his great grandparents have had any chance of getting their daughter back?  Would they have tried?  The Irish are known for putting up a fight for family so I would have thought they would.  I was surprised he didn't ask that question.

Rishile

Stoneham - Kent / Essex / Herts / Bucks / Devon
Pike - Kent
Pay - Kent
Swan/Swaine - Herts / London
Bissenden - Kent
Chappell - Herts
Hammond - Essex

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 26 July 18 17:34 BST (UK) »
I think the fight was worn out of them..   They died not long after she was taken away.

There was a mention, that maybe they felt it was perhaps not such a bad thing.. But there were other children ..
So after the parents died what happened to them?

more searching needed.

xin

Offline antiquesam

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 26 July 18 17:43 BST (UK) »
I thought it was a good story but the connection of Boy George to the hanged IRA chap was a bit tenuous. The husband of the daughter of his great grandmother from her first marriage, the spouse being the brother of her second husband. I can't work out that relationship.
Coomber, Scrimgeour, Shiel, Thiel,

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 26 July 18 18:04 BST (UK) »
NO DNA there then :)  or maybe one tiny speck..    flesh on flesh ---  maybe  just a slight handshake =    a family tale  -  I get what you are saying, we could all claim a relative here and there that was married to their great grandfathers - step mother - twice removed cousin -- so yep a difficult one..

But apart from that it made good TV  so win some loose some.

I really would have liked to hear more about his true family as his Father was not a particularly pleasant man -- by all accounts.   I read a book once..   Called 'Cry Salty tears'  ... oooooo 

written by his Mother.

xin

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 26 July 18 18:16 BST (UK) »
I agree that the link wasn't close.

I'm not sure I could have gone into the hang house where an ancestor met his end, for the same reason I have never watched Titanic
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 26 July 18 18:31 BST (UK) »
Quite a sad episode as is often the case with TV programmes covering Irish ancestry stories. The "Cruelty men" story was interesting.

Blue

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 26 July 18 18:34 BST (UK) »
I was impressed by the interest, dignity & respect Boy George showed wothout any phoney emotion; obviously very fond of mum & aunt. The stories were well told - it's that social history that makes WDYTYA worth watching - it doesn't matter whose ancestors prompted the telling.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON