Author Topic: WDYTYA Boy George  (Read 3060 times)

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: WDYTYA Boy George
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 26 July 18 23:10 BST (UK) »
I was impressed by the interest, dignity & respect Boy George showed wothout any phoney emotion; obviously very fond of mum & aunt. The stories were well told - it's that social history that makes WDYTYA worth watching - it doesn't matter whose ancestors prompted the telling.

My thoughts exactly. 

The stories were powerful and sad, and brought to life by some wonderful documents.  I could have done without the earnest singers at the end though.  :-X
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: WDYTYA Boy George
« Reply #19 on: Friday 27 July 18 12:42 BST (UK) »

I also liked this programme.  Even if his father had lived the children would still be taken from him, as it was thought men couldn't look after children.  Unfortunately, I can't recall the name of the man who fought to get his motherless children out of a nun's orphanage.

I think you mean Desmond Doyle?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desmond_Doyle
The film 'Evelyn' was based on his story.

Thanks Dublin1850.  It's probably the chap.  I knew my memory was being splattered but not to such an extent that I got so many facts wrong.  I suppose I should be grateful for small mercies in that I remembered the gist of it.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke