Author Topic: WDYTYA Boy George  (Read 3066 times)

Offline Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: WDYTYA Boy George
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 26 July 18 19:19 BST (UK) »
  I was glad he refused to play with the lever in the hang house.
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 26 July 18 19:38 BST (UK) »
Not sure about the "boy in a dress because they were poor"; when did 'breeching' stop? I have a photo of my dad (b 1923) aged about 2 in a dress. Last of a family of 3 girls and 4 boys.....working class from Shoreditch.
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 26 July 18 19:45 BST (UK) »
Not sure about the "boy in a dress because they were poor"; when did 'breeching' stop? I have a photo of my dad (b 1923) aged about 2 in a dress. Last of a family of 3 girls and 4 boys.....working class from Shoreditch.

I also liked this programme.  Even if his father had lived the children would still be taken from him, as it was thought men couldn't look after children.  Unfortunately, I can't recall the name of the man who fought to get his motherless children out of a nun's orphanage.

I had one ex WWII veteran teacher.  He brought a photo of himself aged two to show us.  There were plenty of giggles when we saw he had long hair set in ringlets and (tee hee) he wore a dress. The only means we had to know he was a boy was the side of the head his hair parting was on.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Daonnachd

• RootsChat Member
  • kindness is free, sprinkle that stuff everywhere
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 26 July 18 19:49 BST (UK) »
Yes, I have a photo of my Granddad aged about 3 (c 1909) in a dress complete with a very feminine looking  sun hat. (Whitechapel).

My Mum told me years ago, that boys were dressed as girls when they were small to avoid them being taken - linked to the massacre of the innocents by Herod; or alternatively taken by the devil.

Offline StanleysChesterton

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My G-grandmother on right, 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 26 July 18 20:47 BST (UK) »
I have a large, colour, photo (or hand-coloured, not sure) of my dad c.1935 - he looks like a perfect Shirley Temple, with golden curly hair going down to his shoulders.  Looks like a beautiful girl, not boyish looking at all.

Mum/dad always said "mother wanted another girl", but maybe that's just how they turned them out back then.  You couldn't always "trust" what mum/dad said as some of it may've been said in jest and went right over my head.

Re Boy George episode:

I think too many people put "today's luxury values" on things that went on in the past.  I think the grandmother was probably "saved" - allbeit to a rotten institute.  She was probably "better off" there than being left at home where all sorts might've happened to her.  Being with family isn't always best for everybody... but we'll never know.  The show 'experts' though were trying to tactfully tell him that it was probably for the best... allbeit a rotten place.
Related to: Lots of people!
:)
Mostly Cambridgeshire, Huntingdonshire, some Kent and Dorset.

Elizabeth Long/Elizabeth Wilson/Elizabeth Long Wilson, b 1889 Caxton - where are you?
- -
Seeking: death year/location of Albert Edward Morgan, born Cambridge 1885/86 to Hannah & Edward Morgan of 33 Cambridge Place.
WW1 soldier, service number 8624, 2nd battalion, Highland Light Infantry.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 26 July 18 20:53 BST (UK) »
Wasn't boys in dresses for ease of changing nappies and toilet training.

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 26 July 18 21:09 BST (UK) »
Wasn't boys in dresses for ease of changing nappies and toilet training.

Yes, "breeching" when they could manage being in trousers.
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 26 July 18 22:38 BST (UK) »
Never heard the term 'beeching' before, good word, I did wonder when I read it earlier.

Offline dublin1850

• RootsChat Veteran
  • A great lover of Dublin history
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 26 July 18 23:03 BST (UK) »

I also liked this programme.  Even if his father had lived the children would still be taken from him, as it was thought men couldn't look after children.  Unfortunately, I can't recall the name of the man who fought to get his motherless children out of a nun's orphanage.

I think you mean Desmond Doyle?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desmond_Doyle
The film 'Evelyn' was based on his story.
Coffey, Cummins [Rathfalla, Tipperary], Cummins [Skirke, Laois], Curran, Dillon [Clare], Fogarty [Garran, Laois/Tipp], Hughes, Keshan (Keeshan), Loughman [Harristown and Killadooley, Laois], Mallon [Armagh], Malone, Markham [Caherkine, Clare], McKeon(e) [Sligo/Kilkenny/Waterford], McNamara, Meagher, Prescott [Kilkenny/Waterford/Wexford?], Rafferty, Ryan, Sullivan, Tobin
GEDMatch: T665306 tested with Family Tree DNA and also with ancestry
GEDCOM file: 1980344