Author Topic: Family of Ellen Quinn  (Read 1202 times)

Offline kjmck

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Family of Ellen Quinn
« on: Thursday 26 July 18 21:46 BST (UK) »
Hi

Ellen Quinn was born c.1859 in Glasgow, Lanarkshire to Henry Quinn & ? These dates and the P.O.B are according to info taken from the 1891/1901 Scotland census. However in the 1881 census I have just found, where she is listed as Helen Currans (Living in Uphall) she is listed as being born c.1862, and born in Ireland.

On 20/06/1879 she married John Curran in Canongate, Edinburgh. She is 22 and he is 25. Her parents are listed as Henry Quinn (Quarry Labourer) & Catherine Timmins.

(John Curran is the son of Daniel Curran & Ann Curran).

She died 21/07/1922 in Glen's Buildings, Uphall, Linlithgow aged 57. She is the widow of John Curran and her parents are given as Henry Quinn (Boiler Worker - Deceased), and Helen Smith (Deceased).

I have done some searches and cannot find records of Ellen's parents, and I believe that Henry & Helen/Catherine came from Ireland. I am curious why the name changes of Ellen's mother.

Can anyone help me find any info?

Thanks!

Keelan

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
Re: Family of Ellen Quinn
« Reply #1 on: Friday 27 July 18 00:02 BST (UK) »
Worth checking further:

Familysearch returns a Henry Quin born in Milton area, Glasgow in 1859. Parents listed as Henry Quin and Catherine Timmonds.

What would seem to be this same family group are in Milton in 1861, and includes a daughter, Eleanor, born 1857.

This Henry and Catherine are listed as born Ireland.

General comment:

The info on a death certifcate is only as good as the knowledge of the person providing the information and even a close relative can have either limited knowledge or be in a state of grief that causes them to inadvertently give incorrect name/s.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline kjmck

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 27 July 18 13:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much.

Ive found the death record for Henry Quin/n on 05/09/1886, aged 56. Married to Catherine Timmins. His parents were listed as James Quinn & Helen McGuinness. Can't yet find the death or a second marriage for Catherine.

Do you think there would be any way of finding a marriage for James & Helen in Ireland? Or is it a needle in a haystack type situation?

Keelan

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 27 July 18 14:34 BST (UK) »
Have you ruled out the Catherine Quinn/Catherine Timmons death in Fauldhouse area in 1902? Age given as 61, but always possible this is a few years out.

"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline kjmck

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 27 July 18 14:58 BST (UK) »
Ah I hadn't noticed that one, the website I was looking on didnt give the name of Timmins. The age is roughly 5-10 years younger than what I think she was. It gives her parents as Peter Timmins (Labourer) & Catherine Brady, both deceased. It's frustrating I can't see any hints as to where they're from in Ireland.

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 29 July 18 14:48 BST (UK) »
All three names the McGuinness, Quinn, & Timmons only appear altogether in 14 of the 32 counties,in Tithe Applotment Books, and Griffiths Valuation
Armagh
Carlow
Cavan
Clare
Dublin
Fermanagh
Galway
Kildare
Kilkenny
Leitrim
Louth
Mayo
Meath
Monaghan
Offaly
Roscommon
Wicklow
eg In Griffiths Valuation there are only 60 of the Timmons spelling with that surname. One way forward maybe finding church records of one of the parents using all the variant spellings  in the Tithes,
good luck onwards
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide