Author Topic: Kingskettle School  (Read 3164 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Kingskettle School
« Reply #18 on: Monday 30 July 18 02:18 BST (UK) »
Lindsey,

It makes me feel a wee bit better too as I was feeling as if I was a bit persistent with the possibilities even if the Paton connection doesn't fit with the "1901 Jane H Paton 4 born Dunbar, Haddington (Edinburgh)" which looked like a possible.

That wee girl actually died in 1904 if I recall correctly as I decided to try & chase the family but was halted by her death & no mms attached i.e. I thought I would just leave it.

It would (if you were interested enough) be good to trace back the ones you found, that's the things I do (maybe I'm just a nosey parker)  ;D

I just like to know who fits where & how  ???

They parts of Fife are tiny (I live not far from there)!

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 30 July 18 02:46 BST (UK) »
Her sister Isabella married Alexander McGregor who was originally from Earlsferry. His Dad Daniel, was also born in Earlsferry, and his mother Mary Mitchell was from Cupar (they had all moved to Leith by this point). Mary Mitchell's mother, Christian Haxton was from Kettle.

The thing I found really interesting was that Christian Haxton's mother was Margaret Milley, and the woman who my Dad and Aunt lived with was born Margaret Millie Rollo.

I originally thought the middle name 'Millie' was the girl's name, but am now thinking she was named after Margaret Milley, or at least another Margaret Milley from the same family. It just seems a little bit too much of a coincidence to me.

Lindsey,

Can you give ages/dates etc. for the above info. please with parentage (from marriages)?

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 30 July 18 02:48 BST (UK) »
HAXTON WILLIAM Inhabitant Occupier
HOUSE ORKIE MILN, KETTLE
VR010100051-

HAXTON ELIZABETH MISS Tenant Occupier
HOUSE AND GARDEN BANKTON PARK KETTLE
VR010100061-

Isabella/Elizabeth were often interchangeable!

Annie

Offline Daonnachd

• RootsChat Member
  • kindness is free, sprinkle that stuff everywhere
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 30 July 18 02:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Annie,

Yes I will dig a bit deeper, I like to do that too, I just get on a bit of a roll. Sometimes when I've found someone I feel a bit responsible about finding out who they were.

I thought the towns and villages in the area were probably very small. I often check out the historic population figures of places to give me an idea.

Streetview is useful too, Cults, Freuchie and Kettle look pretty small even now, and very pretty, though I imagine winter can be a tad harsh!   :D

When I visit Scotland again I want to make to effort to get to Fife, I didn't last time, I spent all my time finding all the places various members of my family lived in Leith and the rest of Edinburgh.

Lindsey

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 30 July 18 03:01 BST (UK) »
"Cults, Freuchie and Kettle look pretty small even now"

They're what we call little villages rather than 'towns' i.e. small communities.

Nothing like cities i.e. Edinburgh & still very 'country' rather than 'town' with no worries of where to park, how long for. cost etc....all free & no worries on 'one-way' streets etc...very relaxed in all aspects also some lovely little country pubs which do Bar Lunches dotted around.

Annie

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 30 July 18 03:07 BST (UK) »
This one near Kettle Primary School

HAXTON MARGARET MISS Tenant Occupier
HOUSE AND GARDEN BANKTON PARK KETTLE
VR010100066-

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01mfn/

Annie

Offline Daonnachd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 30 July 18 03:13 BST (UK) »
Isabella McKenzie b 1864 St Nicholas Aberdeen and Alexander McGregor b 1859 Earlsferry married in Leith.

Alexanders parents - Daniel McGregor b 1835 Earlsferry and Mary Mitchell b Cupar 1823

Mary Mitchell's parents - Alexander (not sure yet where & when born) Christian Haxton b 1813 Kettle

Christian Haxton's parents - John Haxton b ??1790ish?? Kettle and Margaret Milley ??1790ish?? Markinch

The lady my Dad & Aunt lived with - Margaret Millie Rollo, was born in Kettle 1846 parents Andrew Lindsay Rollo, and Janet Anderson.

Offline Daonnachd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 30 July 18 03:17 BST (UK) »
"Cults, Freuchie and Kettle look pretty small even now"

They're what we call little villages rather than 'towns' i.e. small communities.

Nothing like cities i.e. Edinburgh & still very 'country' rather than 'town' with no worries of where to park, how long for. cost etc....all free & no worries on 'one-way' streets etc...very relaxed in all aspects also some lovely little country pubs which do Bar Lunches dotted around.

Annie

I live in Devon now, not in a village, but there are plenty of villages around surrounded by moors, Exmoor & Dartmoor, so very pretty countryside too, and they sometimes get cut off in winter, especially if the coastal ones flood.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 30 July 18 03:27 BST (UK) »
Lindsey,

I was cut off from reality with the bad snow we had in March this year, knee deep & couldn't go anywhere in my car, no deliveries to shops I could walk to i.e. grateful for tins & packets of food to keep me going  ;D

You will love the scenery etc. & very laid back compared with city life, traffic jams etc.  :P

Just incase I forget...

St. Andrews University have hoards of info. on different things so it may be worth your while at a later date, sending them an email with any questions or use their search page(s) listed on left here;

https://pacific.st-andrews.ac.uk/DServe/dserve.exe?dsqApp=Archive&dsqDb=Catalog&dsqCmd=Search.tcl

https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/research/

Annie