Author Topic: Kingskettle School  (Read 3144 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Kingskettle School
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 28 July 18 00:34 BST (UK) »
PATON ALEXANDER
Tenant
HOUSE AND GARDEN RUMDEWAN KETTLE
VR010100076-

1935 Alexander gone from Kettle but there's this one still around from earlier yrs?

PATON HERBERT
Tenant
HOUSE AND GARDEN KETTLE BRIDGE, KETTLE
VR010100081-

If you look up the VRs on SP there's quite a few Patons around Kettle area in different yrs

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 28 July 18 00:39 BST (UK) »
Patons at Cults too

PATON DAVID
Inhabitant Occupier
HOUSE CULTS FARM, CULTS (FIFE)
VR010100076-

Worth tracing some back from those areas to see if/where there's a connection?

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline Daonnachd

• RootsChat Member
  • kindness is free, sprinkle that stuff everywhere
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 28 July 18 10:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Rosinish,

I'm not sure... Their dad had no sisters, and only one brother to survive infancy - and he was an engineer on the railway in India and South Africa, so they couldn't be uncles.

I'll check to see if they could be more distant relatives though.

Thanks for the idea!

Lindsey

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 28 July 18 10:46 BST (UK) »
1901 James Paton 57 Railway Platelayer living in Kettle born Kettle living in Public House with...

All surname Paton
Mary 45
Elisabeth Scott 17
Jane 11
Richard 9
John 7
Francis 5
Williamina 6 Mo

Annie

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 28 July 18 11:24 BST (UK) »
1901 Jane H Paton 4 born Dunbar, Haddington (Edinburgh)

Can't see the relationship (may be on the original) but with John Paton 72 born Largo, Fife, living at Cult Limeanks House

There does seem a connection with where your ancestors were (I think)?

Annie

Offline Daonnachd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 28 July 18 11:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Annie,

I will check it out - though have since got sidetracked on someone else's brickwall!!.

The thing is that my Paton side were from Edinburgh and before that (c 1810) Stewarton, Ayrshire. I haven't yet found anyone who moved to Fife, but I'll keep looking.

My Grandmother's maiden name was McKenzie, and her mother's name was Urquhart - it's they who came from Aberdeen (c 1840) and before that (c 1800) Banff, Ross-shire or Morayshire.

A couple of people did end up in Dundee, but that's going back a bit (50 years or more).

I'm beginning to think my dad and aunt were 'boarded out' from the Workhouse their mother ended up in.

At some point I'll contact Children 1st to see if they can shed any light on it.

Thanks for your help,

Lindsey

Offline Daonnachd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 29 July 18 15:47 BST (UK) »
I think I've worked it out!

After a day of working through many different combinations and possibilities, I found that my Grandmother's, eldest sister's in-laws were from Fife, some actually from Kettle and/or Cults. So while I haven't found a direct family link, I can't help thinking the extended family must have known the woman my Dad and Aunt moved in with.

Still no a happy outcome, but at least my Grandmother would have know where her children were going to.

Just goes to show that persistence pays off in this game!

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 29 July 18 23:08 BST (UK) »
Glad you found a possible connection to the areas mentioned as it will make you feel a bit happier thinking your father & aunt possibly weren't on their own among total strangers.

Out of curiosity, what were the surnames of your g/mothers' sisters-in-law?

Annie

Offline Daonnachd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 30 July 18 01:54 BST (UK) »
Her sister Isabella married Alexander McGregor who was originally from Earlsferry. His Dad Daniel, was also born in Earlsferry, and his mother Mary Mitchell was from Cupar (they had all moved to Leith by this point). Mary Mitchell's mother, Christian Haxton was from Kettle.

The thing I found really interesting was that Christian Haxton's mother was Margaret Milley, and the woman who my Dad and Aunt lived with was born Margaret Millie Rollo.

I originally thought the middle name 'Millie' was the girl's name, but am now thinking she was named after Margaret Milley, or at least another Margaret Milley from the same family. It just seems a little bit too much of a coincidence to me.

Having lived in a small town, I know how easy it is to get to know, or at least know of, just about everyone else in the area. It must be even more true if you were born there.

I do feel a bit happier thinking they weren't total strangers. Perhaps too, some of the locals were extended family members and looked out for them a bit.