Author Topic: POW's  (Read 1558 times)

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: POW's
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 29 July 18 11:17 BST (UK) »
Fair to say there was quite a bit of confusion of where POW's were kept especially if they were in the Phillipines or on Hell Ships. I wonder if Alexander C Tobitt would appear as a prisoner at Changi for a short time before being moved to the Phillipines? He may have also been other places too?

On this page it looks like survivors of the sinking were picked up by other unknown Japanese vessels and taken on to Haito POW camp in Japan
http://www.roll-of-honour.org.uk/Hell_Ships/Hofuku_Maru/html/evans-nigel-keith.htm

Others survivors were picked up by an American Submarine and taken to Saipan
http://www.far-eastern-heroes.org.uk/Hell_in_Five/html/sunk_off_manila_1st_time.htm

Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 29 July 18 11:50 BST (UK) »
As MaxD suggests if you have Findmypast access to original documents I would scroll through the orignal scans with a fine tooth comb and you might be able to trace his exact movements but I would suggest that all the ships in the Japanese convoy were all lumped togeather in one file.
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)

Offline Cockneyrebel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 29 July 18 16:03 BST (UK) »
What a terrible way to treat prisoners, I was deeply shocked and saddened to read the accounts by the survivors.
Cr
Rosser, Henderson, Chapman, Clarkson, Harper, Healey, Horth, Page, Bowers, Ritchie, Sheen, Smith and Weymark.

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 30 July 18 08:20 BST (UK) »
Yes absolutely horrific how they were treated. Many of the men themselves never talked about their experiences.

Important though I think that we remember their sacrifices and preserve any records of men that didn't return
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)

Offline Cockneyrebel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 30 July 18 10:41 BST (UK) »
In light of people recently denying the Holocaust, perhaps subjects about that and the treatment of POW's in the last War should be taught in schools but I guess it wouldn't be pc?
Cr
Rosser, Henderson, Chapman, Clarkson, Harper, Healey, Horth, Page, Bowers, Ritchie, Sheen, Smith and Weymark.