Author Topic: FTDNA v Gedmatch  (Read 592 times)

Offline Cockneyrebel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
FTDNA v Gedmatch
« on: Friday 27 July 18 12:52 BST (UK) »
I had my DNA tested last year by FTDNA and they showed cousins from 2nd-remote; I then put the test on Gedmatch but it doesn't show the same 'cousins' and in some cases doesn't show the FTDNA ones at all!
How does that work?
So far, I've not found any new cousins, just confirmed a few I already knew about so not a great success considering the outlay! It seems the main problem is that the majority of testers live in the US and haven't researched their ancestry back to GB/Europe. As my ethnicity is GB/Europe not much hope!
Cr
Rosser, Henderson, Chapman, Clarkson, Harper, Healey, Horth, Page, Bowers, Ritchie, Sheen, Smith and Weymark.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: FTDNA v Gedmatch
« Reply #1 on: Friday 27 July 18 13:07 BST (UK) »
It could be that your Ftdna matches haven't uploaded their results to Gedmatch. 

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 27 July 18 13:13 BST (UK) »
Have you also checked that the parameters that you use for each search are the same? Sometimes default parameters can vary. It is normal to search for matches of 7cMorgans or better but some default values might be lower. That would lead to more matches. Check that all the parameters are equivalent.

Martin

Offline Cockneyrebel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 29 July 18 09:14 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for your help, I've had another look and found some different ways of finding cousins on FTDNA other than the straight results.
Cr
Rosser, Henderson, Chapman, Clarkson, Harper, Healey, Horth, Page, Bowers, Ritchie, Sheen, Smith and Weymark.

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 14 February 20 16:59 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much for your help, I've had another look and found some different ways of finding cousins on FTDNA other than the straight results.
Cr

I am trying to negotiate my way around.
Any tips will be gratefully received.  ;)
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.