Author Topic: Y chromosome test  (Read 3303 times)

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Y chromosome test
« Reply #18 on: Monday 30 July 18 19:09 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that. I used your L21 SNP Predictor and it said I had a 95% chance of being DF41_S, DF41_N or L226. However, on further checking, my DYS values are quite different from those required to be any of those SNPs.

If I understand correctly, all those SNPs are R1b1a1b ... but I have tested R1b1a2a1a1b4, and now that I look at my results, I see I tested L226-. I'm L21+ and P312+, and that's it.

Harry

You should also try NevGen as well. Also, FTDNA has a L21 SNP pack which would test around 150 YSNPs below L21 to get you to the next level down.

I've just checked NevGen but all it told me was that there is 100% probability that I'm R1b, which I knew already.
Harry

Offline RobertCasey

• RootsChat Extra
  • Irish research - specially R-L226 (Dal Cais)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 01 August 18 04:03 BST (UK) »
I've just checked NevGen but all it told me was that there is 100% probability that I'm R1b, which I knew already.
Harry
The YSNP prediction tools do catch around 50 % of the known more recent haplogroups but the other 50 % would take a tremendous amount of time to analyze and add. These YSNP prediction tools could predict 80 to 90 % of the YSNP branches in the 1,200 to 2,500 range, but it takes around an hour to prepare the data input for each haplogroup and there are literally hundreds of haplogroups with new ones being discovered daily.

I keep hoping that some vendor will come out with a better chip array test (other than the very dated and limited tests by Nat Geo and LivingDNA). This would eliminate the need for YSNP predictor tools for the most part since you would just have one $100 to $150 test to get you down to a more recent time frame. It really a shame that YSEQ, Full Genomes, Nat Geo, LivingDNA and FTDNA really have failed to come out with a decent list of chip array tests. These chip array tests could include 10,000 to 50,000 YSNPs for only $100 to $150. But all we have is the R1b SNP pack, followed by the L21 SNP pack, followed by the L226/M222/L555/etc. SNP pack, followed by YSEQ testing of individual private SNPS. Not the most economical approach even with today's technology.
Casey - Tipperary or Clare, Ireland
Kelly - Ireland
Brooks, Bryan, Shelton (2), Harper, Williamson - England
Tucker, Arrington, Stevenson, Shears, Jarvis - England
Hill (2), Reed, Olliff, Jackson, Potter, Cruse, Charlton - England
Davis. Martin, Ellison, Woodward, Alderson - England
Pace - Shropshire, England
Revier - Netherlands
Messer - Germany
Wininger - Switzerland

Offline RobertCasey

• RootsChat Extra
  • Irish research - specially R-L226 (Dal Cais)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 01 August 18 04:10 BST (UK) »
Harry
The YSNP prediction tools do catch around 50 % of the known more recent haplogroups but the other 50 % would take a tremendous amount of time to analyze and add. These YSNP prediction tools could predict 80 to 90 % of the YSNP branches in the 1,200 to 2,500 range, but it takes around an hour to prepare the data input for each haplogroup and there are literally hundreds of haplogroups with new ones being discovered daily.

I keep hoping that some vendor will come out with a better chip array test (other than the very dated and limited tests by Nat Geo and LivingDNA). This would eliminate the need for YSNP predictor tools for the most part since you would just have one $100 to $150 test to get you down to a more recent time frame. It really a shame that YSEQ, Full Genomes, Nat Geo, LivingDNA and FTDNA really have failed to come out with a decent list of chip array tests. These chip array tests could include 10,000 to 50,000 YSNPs for only $100 to $150. But all we have is the R1b SNP pack, followed by the L21 SNP pack, followed by the L226/M222/L555/etc. SNP pack, followed by YSEQ testing of individual private SNPS. Not the most economical approach even with today's technology.

At least 50 % of the time, you can skip the first two levels of SNP packs and go directly to the L226/CTS4466/M222/etc. SNP pack based on YSNP prediction. These three Irish haplogroups can now be predicted with 99 % accuracy with 67 markers when using two variables. Here is a YouTube on what is involved. It shows you how to create your own YSNP prediction EXCEL macro:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AD1HHb0Cwfs
Casey - Tipperary or Clare, Ireland
Kelly - Ireland
Brooks, Bryan, Shelton (2), Harper, Williamson - England
Tucker, Arrington, Stevenson, Shears, Jarvis - England
Hill (2), Reed, Olliff, Jackson, Potter, Cruse, Charlton - England
Davis. Martin, Ellison, Woodward, Alderson - England
Pace - Shropshire, England
Revier - Netherlands
Messer - Germany
Wininger - Switzerland