Author Topic: Northampton Regiment India 1895  (Read 824 times)

Offline sue1134

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Northampton Regiment India 1895
« on: Friday 27 July 18 18:40 BST (UK) »
Looking for information on Alfred George b. 1871 Northampton and his brother Joseph George B. 1874 Birmingham.  In a letter to their sister Lily in 1895, they said they were on board a ship with Northampton Regiment heading for India.  We know the George brothers were stationed at Aldershot in 1871 with the regiment (Census record).  Any information would be gratefully received or information on where information may be available. Thank you.

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Northampton Regiment India 1895
« Reply #1 on: Friday 27 July 18 20:36 BST (UK) »
I think FindMyPast has the images of 3 army files (many pages) for this man. He transferred to the Warwickshire regiment in 1898, was discharged in 1902 and joined up again in 1914. Brother Joseph is mentioned, also a wife Gertrude (married 1902) and 5 children.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sue1134

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 28 July 18 07:17 BST (UK) »
Thank you for this information will get my friend to join my heritage to get the information she needs. The two named soldiers were her Grandmothers brothers. Her grandmother  lost touch with them once they left for India.

Offline sue1134

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 28 July 18 08:10 BST (UK) »
Our local records office has access to Findmypast so we will carry on the reserch there thank you for your help.

Online PalmTree1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 28 July 18 08:35 BST (UK) »
It might be worth taking a look at the Northampton Museum Flikr photo site  https://www.flickr.com/photos/northampton_museum/albums as they have quite a lot of photos of the Regiment in India. I was lucky enough, with help from another Rootschatter, to find photos of my grandfather on there. He was a Sergeant with the 1st Battalion at Bangalore then Secunderabad from 1892 to 1900. That is him in my avatar.
Good hunting, Paul
Palmers of Pilton, Ramsey, and Derbyshire - Berrills of Bozeat and Wellingborough -  Byles of Suffolk and Northants - Norris of Farnham - Morehens, Hills, Carters of Northants -  Smarts, Pettits, Woodings of Bozeat

Offline sue1134

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 28 July 18 09:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks Paul will take a look.

Offline Michelle L D

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 20 September 21 19:22 BST (UK) »
Good day

I am looking for information on my great grand uncle William Hill b Feb 11, 1874 in Northampton. William Attested with the Northampton Regiment Oct 28, 1892 Private #3852. I know William was involved with the Tirah Expedition 1894 and I found a newspaper article in the Northampton Chronicle indicating William Hill with 7th Northamptonshire Regiment was wounded Oct 5, 1915 he was a reservist no mention how he was wounded. The same article says William's brother B Hill with the Royal Engineers has been reported ill at Base Hospital Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Michelle