Author Topic: Newcastle resident  (Read 721 times)

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Newcastle resident
« on: Friday 27 July 18 20:23 BST (UK) »
Please see attached snippet from the Sun (Newcastle) newspaper of 5 Feb 1930.  I am researching the career of Welsh boxer Billy Thomas who arrived in Sydney January 1929.
 It would appear from the newspaper extract he moved to Newcastle a year later.  Can someone please help locate where he actually resided during his time there.
Kind Regards, Roy 
anything and everything to do with the village of Brithdir, near New Tredegar in Gwent.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Newcastle resident
« Reply #1 on: Monday 30 July 18 04:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Roy,

Newcastle Sun, Tuesday 2nd December 1930, page 3.

writes Billy THOMAS

"I have been training at Jack Dunleavy's rooms since returning from New Zealand, where I won seven straight fights-middleweights and heavyweights.  I have been training with Jack Haines every day"

Billy came back from NZ on 28th January 1930 and I believe that Jack Dunleavy's Gym was in Sydney so it looks like Billy Thomas might not have lived in Newcastle during 1930. 

Gerry

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: Newcastle resident
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 02 January 19 04:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gerry
A very belated apologies, I have only just seen your reply of July 30th.  I'm sure you will appreciate that not everything one reads in newspapers is correct and this piece on Billy Thomas is a prime example.  A few porkies here as he boxed just the two fights in NZ versus Hay and McDonald and I am pretty sure he trained at Slam Sullivan's gym on his return to Australia on 28 Jan 1930.  However, I am aware he changed gym's at some point and trained at Dunleavy's for a number of fights.

Many thanks and best regards
Roy   
anything and everything to do with the village of Brithdir, near New Tredegar in Gwent.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk