Author Topic: George Waddington b1851 cant find on 1861 or 1871 census  (Read 1957 times)

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
Re: George Waddington b1851 cant find on 1861 or 1871 census
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 29 July 18 14:18 BST (UK) »
London baptisms on Ancestry have the following-
Susanna Merritt born 2/8/1824 Wellington Place Bethnal Green. Father George, a Mariner, mother Amy (Emma in 1851 census)
Other children of this couple ( George described on all baptisms as a Mariner)
Mary born 1816
George born 1815
Sarah 1820
Charlotte 1819
Harriott 30/11/1822
William 19/7/1826

Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 29 July 18 15:03 BST (UK) »
From Ancestry London BMD
George Merritt married Amey Criss 15/8/1814 Bethnal Green
Mary Ann Merritt married John Pimm 1849 St John Hackney. Father George, a Porter
William Merritt married Susannah Freake 1857 Shoreditch. Father George, a capt’n R N ( thought this didn’t match but one of the witnesses is John Pimm)
Sarah Merritt married Edward Stein 1840 Bow. Father George deceased. witness George Stein ( Stein nephew living with Benjamin and Harriet in 1861)
Have also now found another son Richard born about 1821. He married in Bethnal Green in 1855. Address 41 Phoenix Street ( Mary Pym is listed as living in Phoenix Street in 1860 Settlement document). Father George, a Mariner.
Isobel

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 29 July 18 15:16 BST (UK) »
 :) good finds Isobel.

I was thinking that George Stein was George Waddington but seems not.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 30 July 18 09:46 BST (UK) »
In 1851 Benjamin Waddington, Carman, age 50 is listed with wife SUSAN age 30 and the two elder children from 1861.
Isobel

Just some thoughts and ponderings ;D
Just looking at this again and querying possible error of enumerator or other confusion.
This Susan was born same year as Harriett (nee COX) and in London area.

Susanna WADDINGTON (MERRETT) is with her mother  and two daughters as listed above, so she is not this Susan

As it stands, Rosina was the last child of Susanna WADDINGTON (MERRETT).

The Elizabeth mentioned in the settlement record is stated as being the child of Susan (the younger) and I did see another birth of one Richard, 1863 WADDINGTON msn MERRETT so again perhaps he was a child of a daughter of Susanna (MERRETT).

The statement regarding the  father of Susan and of  George (for whom you are searching)......
That he was named George and was a waterman appears twice in the research to date.
Once in the words of Harriet in the settlement file (1860) and again on the marriage certificate of your George (1872) so maybe corrrect.

I wonder if young George was cared for by one of Susanna's (MERRETT) sisters and used their family name for those missing years.

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 30 July 18 10:18 BST (UK) »
The statement regarding the  father of Susan and of  George (for whom you are searching)......
That he was named George and was a waterman appears twice in the research to date.
Once in the words of Harriet in the settlement file (1860) and again on the marriage certificate of your George (1872) so maybe corrrect.

Sue

Sue,
Can you just clarify this re George, the Waterman.
I am assuming that young George has used his grandfather’s first name and occupation on his marriage.
Susan’s father is listed as a Mariner which might be interpreted as a Waterman. He was working from Friars Mount which is where Susannah Waddington and her mother Emma Merritt were living in 1851.

What I don’t understand is how Harriet Cox, spinster, is the sister of Susannah Merritt :-\

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 30 July 18 10:39 BST (UK) »
Although there are baptisms for the first two children of Benjamin and Harriet ie Emma ( born around 1846) and Benjamin (born around 1847) there do not appear to be matching birth registrations. I also Don’t think she is Harriet Cox. That marriage was in 1831 and Harriet Merritt was only born in 1822.
Isobel

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 30 July 18 11:15 BST (UK) »

Sue

Sue,
Can you just clarify this re George, the Waterman.
I am assuming that young George has used his grandfather’s first name and occupation on his marriage.
Susan’s father is listed as a Mariner which might be interpreted as a Waterman. He was working from Friars Mount which is where Susannah Waddington and her mother Emma Merritt were living in 1851.

What I don’t understand is how Harriet Cox, spinster, is the sister of Susannah Merritt :-\

Looking at the births given above by isobelw (#19)
Harriott 30/11/1822.

This I think, is the woman aged 39, at that time in 1860, making the statement in the settlement record. Not Harriet (nee COX) the wife of Benjamin .

If you read the script of the settlement documents, you will see it stated that the father of Susan MERRETT (the younger, mother of the Elizabeth in question) was a waterman named George at Mount....  died aged about 27 etc.

Sue 

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 30 July 18 11:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks Sue

Yes that is what I  read but I interpreted your sentence as meaning both Susan and George had (the same) father, George, whereas I am thinking that the child George has used his grandfather’s name for respectability or some other reason.

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 30 July 18 12:46 BST (UK) »
Mmmm...Yes. I see your point here.

;D
Sue