Author Topic: George Waddington b1851 cant find on 1861 or 1871 census  (Read 1959 times)

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: George Waddington b1851 cant find on 1861 or 1871 census
« Reply #27 on: Monday 30 July 18 13:34 BST (UK) »
Hi All
I wonder if anyone can help please.
I'm trying to locate what happened to a George Waddington who was born in Bethnal Green in 1851.  This is backed up by his birth registration indicating MMN is Merritt/Merrett.
I have his marriage in 1872 to Sarah Ann Allwright on 10th April 1872 and it lists his father as also called George Waddington a Waterman by trade.
Everything after 1872 I am fine with however I can't find him or his father George on the 1871 or 1861 census wierdly.
Can anyone help
Thanks
Phil

Hi Phil,
Do you have his birth certificate with his mother as Susan/nah or has that just been assumed on here after 1851 census?
I might now just be very fuddled and have missed a really important post.

Heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 30 July 18 14:47 BST (UK) »
The statement regarding the  father of Susan and of  George (for whom you are searching)......
That he was named George and was a waterman appears twice in the research to date.
Once in the words of Harriet in the settlement file (1860) and again on the marriage certificate of your George (1872) so maybe corrrect.

Sue

Sue,
Can you just clarify this re George, the Waterman.
I am assuming that young George has used his grandfather’s first name and occupation on his marriage.
Susan’s father is listed as a Mariner which might be interpreted as a Waterman. He was working from Friars Mount which is where Susannah Waddington and her mother Emma Merritt were living in 1851.

What I don’t understand is how Harriet Cox, spinster, is the sister of Susannah Merritt :-\

Looking at the births given above by isobelw (#19)
Harriott 30/11/1822.

This I think, is the woman aged 39, at that time in 1860, making the statement in the settlement record. Not Harriet (nee COX) the wife of Benjamin .

If you read the script of the settlement documents, you will see it stated that the father of Susan MERRETT (the younger, mother of the Elizabeth in question) was a waterman named George at Mount....  died aged about 27 etc.

Sue
I think it actually is meant to read that he died 27 years ago as it also says he came into possession of a house 34 years ago.
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 01 August 18 00:10 BST (UK) »
Our OP has not made contact for a while, but just noting.....

Benjamin WADDINGTON, the husband of Harriet (nee COX) was a widower by 1871 and still a carman.
He lived in Southwark at 68 Orange Street and next door at 71 was son Benjamin married to Alice and their children.

Benjamin senior still has with him 2 children, James R WADDINGTON born 1853 and Thomas WADDINGTON born 1860.

Births
WADDINGTON, JAMES    MSN   MERIT 
1853  M Quarter in CITY OF LONDON
01C  / 85

WADDINGTON, THOMAS  MSN      MERRITT 
1860  J Quarter in CITY OF LONDON
01C  / 67

There is a baptism for James (Robert) WADDINGTON with parental name Benjamin, a carman and Harriet WADDINGTON.  I have not seen a baptism for Thomas.

I have not seen any reference to the child George WADDINGTON or a father of the same name apart from the sightings given in the Original Post.

Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk