Author Topic: William CLARKE, married in EYE, SFK, living in WESTHALL, SFK  (Read 966 times)

Offline Helena624

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William CLARKE, married in EYE, SFK, living in WESTHALL, SFK
« on: Saturday 28 July 18 13:43 BST (UK) »
Looking for CLARKE researchers. I am seeking the origin of my 4x Great Grandfather, William CLARKE. William Clarke married my 4X great grandmother, Mary STANNARD, in Eye, Suffolk. He is listed as a widower in the marriage record. I don't know where he was from, or if he had any prior children. William and Mary have four children in Eye, including my 3X great grandmother. Then the family disappears for a time. I don't know where they went for a period of about five years until the re-appear in the records of Westhall, SFK and have more children in Westhall. I'd love to compare notes with anyone also researching William Clarke who married Mary STANNARD. (Records for Mary Stannard go back to John Stannard who married Mary THIRKETTLE in 1591 in Eye.)

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William CLARKE, married in EYE, SFK, living in WESTHALL, SFK
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 28 July 18 13:53 BST (UK) »

I am seeking the origin of my 4x Great Grandfather, William CLARKE.

William Clarke married my 4X great grandmother, Mary STANNARD, in Eye, Suffolk.

William and Mary have four children in Eye, including my 3X great grandmother.

Could you give dob of William & Mary and names/dob of their children which might help others looking

When and where did they die?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 28 July 18 21:29 BST (UK) »
I agree - dates would be helpful.  I have a Grace Stannard in my tree, born 1544 Mickfield, Suffolk.  Without dates, the information doesn't mean much.
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Helena624

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 29 July 18 13:03 BST (UK) »
Sorry about forgetting the dates. William CLARKE married Mary STANNARD in Eye, Suffolk on 13 Apr 1789. The entry says William was a widower. Looking through the Eye records, CLARKE does not seem to be an Eye name. But. There are STANNARDS in Eye from the beginning of the records. I think Mary Stannard b.c. 1761 was the daughter of Ann STANNARD, (bc 1736) who was the daughter of Richard STANNARD and Mary CLARKE. William CLARKE and Mary STANNARD had six children in Eye: Samuel 1790, Martha 1792, Isaac 1794, Mary 1794, Danford John 1797, Hannah 1799 (my 3X great grandmother). Then there is a period of six years where they "disappear". The family re-appears in Westhall with the baptisms of the following children: Thomas 1805, Mary 1807 and Charlotte 1810.
I would love to compare notes with anyone else researching this family. In particular, I am looking for the parents of my 4X great grandfather, William CLARKE.

Offline gobbitt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 29 July 18 19:33 BST (UK) »
If William CLARKE of Westhall was a little older than 59 in 1811 (Suffolk FHS burial index) perhaps he was the son of Pedgrave (or Palgrave etc.) baptized in 1749.

Their family was being researched in 2011 by Jason of Jersey (clarkej), who has not posted to RootsChat since then.

Jason's ancestor William CLARKE appears to have been baptized at Westhall in 1783, a son of William and another Mary (née CLARKE; m. there 1777).

David