Author Topic: FindMyPast routinely logs me out - is it me?  (Read 2449 times)

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: FindMyPast routinely logs me out - is it me?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 28 July 18 16:12 BST (UK) »
I am finding GRO index is throwing me out very quickly - anyone else?
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 28 July 18 18:56 BST (UK) »
Hi

Closing of pages is happening elsewhere.

Sometimes get a window - internet stopped. I have to close the page/s, then press the internet icon and the pages come back.

Sometimes a page tells me not to proceed as site is not secure and the only option is to close the page.

Has any user of the GRO (gov.uk) site recently been asked to accept a list of GRO conditions, when logging into the GRO? Basically, it seems the GRO are saying they will not be responsible for losses. I'm left with the terrible suspicion that the GRO were very worried about hacking.

It seems a page may close, if your PC anti-virus closes it.

I'm not overriding my antivirus, I'd rather switch off my internet and try later.

----------

Some warnings about taking care to protect your personal information from fraud ...
https://www.actionfraud.police.uk/news/alert-fraudsters-are-recording-phone-calls-and-gaining-access-to-victim-bank-accounts-mar16

https://www.actionfraud.police.uk/news/fraudsters-are-emptying-bank-accounts-by-diverting-calls-and-text-messages-apr17

Mark

Offline sandiep

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 28 July 18 19:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Smalltimegirl

I have same problem on FindMyPast with 2nd page sometimes 1st  and then if I download to my laptop even without an image on screen it will show image weird eh what!!

FindMyPast also logs me out but my laptop does keep it so I only have to click on not write it all out.
Pender, Raphael,Lambert,Digby,Stent,
Dowell,cornish,mulley,Death,Rosier,
East End,Suffolk,Essex,Cornwall,Devon,London,  middlesex, hertfordshire                                      Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 29 July 18 04:24 BST (UK) »
If your on windows 10

Click 'start menu'

Then Click 'control panel'

Either a drop down menu in the start menu list will appear or a full page will come up of items to click on

Find 'System' and click on it

On the page that comes up - Top left down menu - click on 'remote settings'

A dialog small box will appear called 'System properties"

There will be a tick box called 'Remote assistance'

Make sure the tick box is empty. (meaning no tick in the little Square box")

If the box is empty ? - then their is no official remote outside interference of your computer. ( Your internet security takes care of hackers and ports or warns of an incoming access attack)

If the remote box is empty then your problem is with FindMyPast or their website sign in access time limiter (Auto shut off)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 02 August 18 13:22 BST (UK) »
The "remember me" login for FindMyPast appears to last exactly 7 days.

Mine currently chucks me off about 11 a.m. on Fridays, often when I am in the middle of checking out the week's fresh releases.

The machines at my local family history society research centre suffer the same way, but most of them get hit on Wednesdays.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 02 August 18 14:57 BST (UK) »
I am also often a victim of the "no second page" phenomenon so glad to see I am not alone! 

Dobfarm's input appears to be related to the sign in/out problem, I didn't see a suggestion yet for a solution to the no second page?  The site isn't being closed completely, hence the ability to see the heading (for want of abetter word) and to download a seemingly blank page so not anti-virus.

STG - have you had a chat yet?

MaxD

I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 02 August 18 15:48 BST (UK) »
See the related thread for a solution to the second page syndrome:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=797827.new#new

MaxD

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline SmallTownGirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 02 August 18 16:02 BST (UK) »

STG - have you had a chat yet?

MaxD

Just chatted, but not entirely satisfactory  ::)

I use Microsoft Edge and they suggested I try another browser, so switched to Chrome and couldn't replicate the problem with the record I chose while "chatting", so their suggestion is (a) to keep using Chrome because "Edge is tricky"  ??? and/or (b) to clear my cache to see if that helps.

STG

Edited to say:  Have seen the post about downloading the image (if you get the blank screen), but sometimes I just want a quick glance to see whether I want the image or not.  It's a bit of a faff to have to do the download thingy when I don't always want to keep the record.

Always looking for GOODWINS in Berkshire :)

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 02 August 18 16:12 BST (UK) »
Wonders of modern technology!

MaxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk