Author Topic: FindMyPast routinely logs me out - is it me?  (Read 2393 times)

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
Re: FindMyPast routinely logs me out - is it me?
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 02 August 18 22:17 BST (UK) »
Have seen the post about downloading the image (if you get the blank screen), but sometimes I just want a quick glance to see whether I want the image or not.  It's a bit of a faff to have to do the download thingy when I don't always want to keep the record.
If you select "Open", the file goes in your temporary files, and ought to be tidied away when you exit the browser. It then is more of a faff when you decide you actually DO want to keep it, but I don't think it is TOO bad.

Still annoying though.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Online dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 03 August 18 05:04 BST (UK) »
For none important browsing or does not matter if internet security is low.

I still use internet explorer with Norton security extensions for Windows 10 with the old warning ' Explains why' With Norton pop up box dialog boxes that pop up. On the to horizontal menu -ie:- File, Edit, View, Fav's, Tools , Help.

Click tools

On the down menu-Chose your options

In "Delete browsing history" a dialog box appears about website passwords

or

"In private browsing"

or

'Turn on tracking protection'

or

'ActiveX Filtering'

or

"Windows Defender SmartScreen filter"

~~~~~~~~~~~

Put curser on top of page and mouse - Right click and activate 'Command bar'.

Another cross menu pops up

Now refined options with Windows defender and Norton (If you use Norton Security for belt and braziers protection)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline Isabel H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 18 August 18 18:44 BST (UK) »
I think I may have found an answer to the problem.  FindMyPast kept logging me out too, and I was also getting tired of constantly being asked to allow cookies.

Someone told me I could stop the latter annoyance in Chrome by going to Settings - Advanced - Content Settings - Allow,  and adding sites I use to the list.

Since I did that, most (but not all) of the sites have stopped asking me to allow cookies, and as a bonus FindMyPast has kept me logged in for at least a week now.

I'm not sure how to achieve the same result with other browsers, but I expect there will be a similar option somewhere in the settings..

GRAY - Inveresk; Lanarkshire
LINDSAY - Lanarkshire
PURDIE - Lanarkshire; W. Lothian
POZZI - Elgin; Lancashire
MACKENZIE, MORISON - Isle of Lewis
ARCHIBALD, HAY, HUNTER, SNADDON - Clackmannanshire
COXON, HALL, JACKSON, SHOTTON - Northumberland

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 18 August 18 19:25 BST (UK) »

. . . . . or just use Firefox with Ghostery?

"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).