Author Topic: Hey family of Netherton, Yorkshire  (Read 531 times)

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Hey family of Netherton, Yorkshire
« on: Saturday 28 July 18 15:00 BST (UK) »
One of my husband's ancestors was John Hey of Netherton, who had children born there and baptised in Thornhill, Yorkshire, from 1771 onwards, and who was buried there in 1808. No mother's name given at the baptisms.

A likely marriage could be that of John Hey to Sarah England, 14 Jan 1770, in Nerbon, Thornhill, Yorkshire, as given in Familysearch and England Select Marriages. There is also a marriage of John Hoy to Sarah England 15 Jan 1770, Edlington, Yorkshire, which is presumably connected.

The first marriage does not show up in what I think are Bishop's Transcripts at ancestry; the second one one I can't find either, no records for Edlington.

Wondering if anyone knows where the original register is (hopefully online), and where Nerbon could have been. Is it a corruption of Netherton?

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hey family of Netherton, Yorkshire
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 28 July 18 15:41 BST (UK) »
Websites often seem to get mixed up about exactly what data they are presenting, or give it misleading titles. In the case of a marriage, there might be three separate items: parish register, bishop's transcript, and a licence.

In this case, everything you need is at FindMyPast. The marriage was at Edlington on 15 January 1770, and it appears in both the parish register and the bishop's transcript, though the BT appears not to have been indexed, and I only found it by browsing.

Both PR and BT indicate that John Hey was of Thornhill and Sarah England of Edlington (neither mentions "Nerbon"), and that the marriage took place by licence. The licence is what FamilySearch have presented as a marriage, and you can check this by looking in their catalogue for the film number given in the record (1469749). This also explains the date discrepancy - the licence was issued on 14 Jan, and the marriage took place the next day.

There's another index to licences at FindMyPast, but this doesn't mention "Nerbon". So unless someone recognises it as a place in Thornhill, you'll really need to look at the licence to work out if this is what it really says, or if it's a mistranscription. You can order a copy from the Borthwick Institute in York. (Strictly speaking what you get with a marriage licence record is the bond and allegation, which were the associated documents - very few actual licences survive.)
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 28 July 18 16:33 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much, arthurk.

I didn't see this at FindMyPast, (I did look, but obviously not well enough).

The England Select Marriages/Family Search record indicates an age for both of them, approx birth year 1736. Since a Sarah Hey of Netherton was buried in Thornhill​ in 1815, aged 79, this could very well be the correct marriage.

One of the witnesses in 1770 was George England, presumably a relative of Sarah's.

I realise the difference between the different types of records - the ones for Thornhill at ancestry appear to be BTs, as they cover one year at a time, with baptisms, burials and marriages in the same year.

Thanks once again.

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 28 July 18 17:33 BST (UK) »
The England Select Marriages/Family Search record indicates an age for both of them, approx birth year 1736. Since a Sarah Hey of Netherton was buried in Thornhill​ in 1815, aged 79, this could very well be the correct marriage.

This database is the one with the licence (it gives the date as 14 Jan 1770).

I realise the difference between the different types of records - the ones for Thornhill at ancestry appear to be BTs, as they cover one year at a time, with baptisms, burials and marriages in the same year.

I think that's mainly due to the way Ancestry have arranged them. It's fairly common for baptisms and burials to be written in the same book, either mixed up or in separate sections, but if you look at the thumbnail images for each year, you'll see that the marriages are in a different kind of book.

For West Yorkshire (which includes Thornhill, but not Edlington), the rule of thumb is that PRs are held by West Yorkshire Archives, who have an arrangement with Ancestry, but BTs are held by the Borthwick Institute, who have an arrangement with FindMyPast. For most/all other parts of Yorkshire, the PRs are at FindMyPast as well.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 28 July 18 17:56 BST (UK) »
Thanks again for your informative reply.

The reason I thought they were probably BTs at Ancestry was because they are arranged by years, with baptisms, burials and marriages of the same year grouped together in 8 - 20 pages or similar. Original registers are usually more disordered, and by this date, as you say, marriages were in a different book. In most cases Ancestry don't take the trouble to separate them, why they would take extra trouble in doing so in this case seems strange.

Regards Margaret