Author Topic: Nijmegan August 1945  (Read 533 times)

Offline Brewins girl

• RootsChat Senior
  • REME 1943-46 & RAF Coastal & Transpt Command WW2
    • View Profile
Nijmegan August 1945
« on: Saturday 28 July 18 17:24 BST (UK) »
I am trying to understand why my uncle, a soldier with REME, would have been in Hijmegan for several days after returning to Holland from leave in the UK in August 1945. Was there a British/Allied military camp there, where soldiers would either return from leave or depart for leave or even demob? If so, was there a name for the camp?
Brooking (REME)
Robinson (RAF)
Southall (Pedmore, nr Stourbridge UK)

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Nijmegan August 1945
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 28 July 18 20:56 BST (UK) »
Could be as simple as the fact that his unit was in a location there when he left for leave and still there when he returned.  The army advancing through Holland into Germany was self-contained, most units only needed a field, unload the stores from the trucks (or their backs) and there they are, like snails carrying their homes with them.  Some units (perhaps a REME workshop) may have needed buildings to operate more easily so a likely looking house/factory/school would suffice.  The war diary of his unit would perhaps be more accurate.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia