Author Topic: Alfred Stanley Ellis - Passenger between UK and Canada, born September 1891  (Read 4036 times)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Alfred Stanley Ellis - Passenger between UK and Canada, born September 1891
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 29 July 18 14:06 BST (UK) »
This looks like the cousin Roy Dustin in 1930 Lockport Street Niagara Falls, Niagara, New York.

Charles A Dustin 64 born NY.
Eliza B Dustin   59 born Canada.
Roy E Dustin   29 born NY.

Roy married Eva I Leetch 2 March 1931 - parents listed as Charles A Dustin and Mother Eliza B Zury. (born Brantford Ontario)

FIND A GRAVE

Roy 6 Dec 1900 - 23 December 1969

Dunedin Cemetery Dunedin, Pinellas County, Florida.
Plot   Section B-Block 2-Lot 15-Space D

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/143266358

Sandra

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 29 July 18 14:10 BST (UK) »
Canada Voters Lists 1957/58/65 shows Ethel and John Hutcheson still living at 556 Clinton Street Toronto - looks like a daughter "A" (secretary) also living at that address. Electoral District Spadina

John is retired in 1965

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 29 July 18 14:29 BST (UK) »
There is a New York passenger list  - the S.S. Queen Elizabeth, from Gourock to New York on April 7th 1945.  (from findmypast)

It has Alfred Stanley Ellis, Manager Marine, with something else handwritten over the top that I can't read - but I think the last word is defense.   

RK 

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 29 July 18 14:35 BST (UK) »
There is a New York passenger list  - the S.S. Queen Elizabeth, from Gourock to New York on April 7th 1945.  (from findmypast)

It has Alfred Stanley Ellis, Manager Marine, with something else handwritten over the top that I can't read - but I think the last word is defense.   

RK

lol ... same here.........even with a magnifier  ;)  It says foreign official in the first margin  :-\

something exempt - not defense  ???

Offline JJen

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 29 July 18 14:45 BST (UK) »

The obituary index for the Windsor Star newspaper (available through the Windsor Public Library site) says that the obituary for Alfred Stanley Ellis, husband of Mildred, is in the 6 March 1962 edition. 
RK

The Ottawa Journal 7 Mar 1962 (deaths) -

Windsor - A Stanley Ellis who rose from garage foreman to senior control executive in 43 years with Ford, Canada.

JJ

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 29 July 18 15:05 BST (UK) »
Checked the Toronto Star... there is a short obituary for A. Stanley Ellis in the 7 March 1962 edition, page 38. 

It says that A. Stanley Ellis, veteran employee of Ford Canada and director of equipment and mechanization at Canadian Military Headquarters in London during World War 2, died yesterday at his home.    It also says that he retired from Ford in 1958 after 43 years of service.  He started as a garage foreman and rose to be a senior control executive.  He became service manager for Canada in 1928 until the outbreak of WW2, when he was loaned to the Department of National Defence and appointed director of equipment and mechanization at Canadian military headquarters in London.  He received the OBE for this work.

RK

Offline JJen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 29 July 18 15:35 BST (UK) »
Checked the Toronto Star... there is a short obituary for A. Stanley Ellis in the 7 March 1962 edition, page 38. 

It says that A. Stanley Ellis, veteran employee of Ford Canada and director of equipment and mechanization at Canadian Military Headquarters in London during World War 2, died yesterday at his home.    It also says that he retired from Ford in 1958 after 43 years of service.  He started as a garage foreman and rose to be a senior control executive.  He became service manager for Canada in 1928 until the outbreak of WW2, when he was loaned to the Department of National Defence and appointed director of equipment and mechanization at Canadian military headquarters in London.  He received the OBE for this work.

RK

What a brilliant find, looks like Alfred's life records are all coming together  :)

JJ

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 29 July 18 15:41 BST (UK) »
That's great RK  ;)

Canada Voters List shows Mildred Ellis at 1571 Victoria Avenue in 1963

Canada Voters List 1965 shows Mildred Ellis - same address - retired.

Canada Voters List 1968 - Mildred Ellis - same address - home maker.

Sandra

Offline donut 2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 30 July 18 08:03 BST (UK) »
Thank you all so much for all the information you have given me. I really am most grateful.
I have written to Windsor Library to try to obtain Alfred's Obituary as you suggested,as I am particularly interested in the reason for his OBE

I will take a while now to digest all the other information you have given me.
Many thanks Tunod