Author Topic: no sound  (Read 4299 times)

Offline BillyF

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My lovely Mum about 1940
    • View Profile
Re: no sound
« Reply #9 on: Monday 30 July 18 19:18 BST (UK) »
ok, tried that yesterday, but had to cancel after 40 minutes as I had things to do.

How long should it take to " detect problems " ?

Thankyou for your help.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 30 July 18 19:49 BST (UK) »
Wow....definitely not that long!!

Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 30 July 18 19:54 BST (UK) »
Do you know what Sound Card you are using?

With a recent W10 update my Realtec card driver was not supported and I had to change to Windows one and....bingo!!

I even downloaded the Realtec driver from their website just to double check... no sound!

Offline BillyF

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 31 July 18 13:48 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much.

As far as I know it`s Realtek. I haven`t really time to do it today, but I`ll give it a try.

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 31 July 18 14:20 BST (UK) »
Billy, for quite a long time, in fact so long that I have learnt to live with live with it and I am a former computer consultant, the sound occasionally cuts out. Try turning it up to 20 or 30 with something playing and see if it cuts back in. This usually fixes it for me. Be ready to turn it down if it's suddenly blasts at you. It is a known Windows bug, and on my previous attempts to find a solution I decided it was easier to live with it. I assume you tried the obvious, just turning the computer off and then back on again.

Martin

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 31 July 18 17:16 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much.

As far as I know it`s Realtek. I haven`t really time to do it today, but I`ll give it a try.

Probably need to see what other sound cards are loaded...

Offline Midase

• RootsChat User
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 31 July 18 19:54 BST (UK) »
Try this. Go to Device Manager. Find Sound, video and games controllers. Double left click to open. Right click on each entry and choose Uninstall. Shut the computer down and then restart. Windows will then reinstall the drivers.

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 02 August 18 14:11 BST (UK) »
I have a laptop which runs the "insider" version of Win10. For months now, soon after logging in, it has squawked at me and popped up a message saying "Are you having trouble with audio? Run the audio troubleshooter." Well no, I've just heard the squawk!

Then last week, having hit Mute to kill an annoying ad, I got round to updating the insider version. Sound got disabled, and Mute no longer switched it on. Guess what? I was no longer prompted to run the troubleshooter!

I reinstalled the drivers as suggested by Midase, and all is normal again, complete with "troubleshooter" popups!
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline BillyF

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: no sound COMPLETED
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 05 August 18 15:44 BST (UK) »
Oh my goodness  !! I nearly burst my eardrums !!!! I hadn`t realised the volume was turned up, I can`t remember  putting it up to 75% !!!

Anyway, I finally found time time to follow the instrustions from Midase; ** " Perfect "** I`m " so " happy !! A thousand thankyous.

And thanks to everyone.