Author Topic: Marriage, St. Andrews, Newcastle  (Read 1103 times)

Offline Lindyloowho

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Marriage, St. Andrews, Newcastle
« on: Saturday 28 July 18 22:10 BST (UK) »
Hi:

Would anyone have access to the registers for St. Andrews, Newcastle?  I'm looking for the marriage between John Meldrum and Jane Perrett which took place July 4, 1861.

I have found the online transcription but the last name is shown as Meldram, and I'd like to verify that the original is Meldrum.  Also grooms fathers name is debateable ;)

Thank you, Linda

Offline taffie01

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage, St. Andrews, Newcastle
« Reply #1 on: Monday 30 July 18 19:31 BST (UK) »
hi Linda,
sorry I'm not able to personally do a look up for you but
The records are held by Tyne Wear archives at Newcastle.
do you know which St Andrews, there are two in Newcastle; one is CE the other is RC?
Also there are often discrepancies with transcriptions and misspelling.
However as you know the date of  marriage you will avoid a lot of searching.
Perhaps someone could do a lookup for you if you are unable, or you could purchase the marriage certificate from GRO.
cheers

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 30 July 18 22:48 BST (UK) »
The full GRO entry also shows Meldram.  What spelling is used on census entries and birth registrations for any children
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 30 July 18 23:06 BST (UK) »
Looking at the marriage entry on FS Jane was previously married and her maiden name was Gilbert.  Her married surname was Perratt not Perrett

2 children registered as Meldram mmn Gilbert   Mary 1862 and Margaret Jane 1865 - both in Tynemouth RD

Marriages June qtr 1856   
GILBERT    Jane         Tynemouth    10b   211      
PERRATT    Francis Saunders   

John could be the 1861 entry born 1827 Blyth - unmarried - mariner - surname Meldram
Also grooms fathers name is debateable      

Shown as Thomas
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 01 August 18 18:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Linda

I think I will be able to look up the Tynemouth marriage for you this week and also fit the Newcastle look up in within the next two weeks, if someone else does not beat me to it.

The Tynemouth marriage was at St Alban, Earsdon - going by the  Church code.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 02 August 18 10:26 BST (UK) »
I actually looked at this yesterday at Woodhorn then forgot to post it  :-\

The marriage was by banns on the date given between -
John Meldram bachelor of full age, master mariner. Father Thomas Meldram, master mariner
Jane Perratt widow of full age. Father Thomas Gilbert, interporter of the French
Witnesses: Mary Story and James Welch (this last one is a regular witness and not therefore likely to be connected to the couple)

For some reason I seem not to have written down their abodes  :-[

As the original query related to the spelling of Meldram/Meldrum it is worth noting that both parties seem to have signed their own names and John has definitely written Meldram - so not something that the registrar misheard.

Interesting occupation for her father - do you think they meant to write interpreter?

Christine

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 02 August 18 12:54 BST (UK) »
I have got a chance to get to the archives sooner than anticipated to squeeze this in -

Christine .. you didn't miss much on the address as on the St Andrew record for them Entry 117 it simply records .. 'This Parish' for both ;D

Linda, just in case you also want the Earsdon marriage, this is it:

St Alban, Earsdon
Entry 131
June 10, 1856
Francis Saunders Perratt & Jane Gilbert
Both aged 24
Rank or Profession: Ship Broker
Residence at time of Marriage:
His: Tynemouth (+ another word I can't make out)
Hers: So. Blyth
Fathers:
John Perratt - Sugar Refiner
Thomas Gilbert - French Interpreter
Witnesses:
Mary (Helen?) Smith
I am having difficulty with 2nd signature but possibly Gabriel Hind Parish -this could be completely wrong however.
Thomas Gilbert

All parties signed their names.

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Online sugarbakers

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • 12 Church St, MENT - the family sugarhouse, 1805
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 02 August 18 22:23 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the sugar refiner. He doesn't figure on the database, but will be added tomorrow.

Refining locally - Stockton and Newcastle - had finished by 1811, though Hull continued to 1841.

Francis Saunders Perratt was bpt in Yeovil, Somerset, in 1832, s/o John and Ann (familysearch) ... so this could point to John Perratt being a refiner in Bristol.
Almeroth, Germany (probably Hessen). Mawer, Softley, Johnson, Lancaster, Tatum, Bucknall (E.Yorks, Nfk, Lincs)

Sugar Refiners & Sugarbakers ... www.mawer.clara.net ...
50,000+ database entries, 270+ fatalities, 210+ fires, history, maps, directory, sales, blog, book, 500+ wills, etc.

WDYTYA magazine July 2017

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 03 August 18 09:56 BST (UK) »
You are welcome.  It is always nice to hear that some little snippet of information which you have found has been helpful and may help tracing a family tree further back.  :)