Author Topic: Thomas Arthur Glasier, 2147319 Fort Garry Horse. His time in Canada.  (Read 1095 times)

Offline Chrissmyth

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Arthur Glasier, 2147319 Fort Garry Horse. His time in Canada.
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 12 August 18 18:59 BST (UK) »
Frank, Sandra
Today marks the 100th anniversary of Trooper Tom Glasier's death.
My own interest is that he was my great uncle: my maternal grandfather's brother. There were three brothers: Tom, Fred (my grandfather) and Bert (who lived on Long Island). I have his dog tag, his campaign medals and his "death penny"... I have visited his grave at Villers-Bretonneux and walked the road along which he was charging when shot.
I would welcome further contact and information myself and would love to know your connection with him. Do get in touch.
Best wishes on this of all days.
Chris

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 12 August 18 19:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Chrissmyth, welcome to Rootschat  :)

I don't have a family connection to Thomas, he was actually born in my home town of Thorne in Yorkshire, England, and is named on our local war memorial,.

One of my passions is researching the men on it and that is how I came to ask the question regarding his arrival in Canada, Sandra was very kind and supplied me with the information on this thread.

Its very poignant that today marks the 100 year anniversary of his death.

Best regards
Frank  :)
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 12 August 18 19:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Chris,

Welcome to RootsChat

I am not related to Tom Glasier - just helping jess5athome (Frank) with a little research.  If yourself or Frank need more info, don't hesitate to ask.

Regards
Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Chrissmyth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 12 August 18 19:56 BST (UK) »
Thank you both so much.  I knew both his brothers - my grandfather (of course) (who died in 1967) and my other great uncle: Uncle Bertie whom I last saw in 1976 at his home on Long Island.
Frank - any information you can give me about Tom would be most welcome - and likewise if you think I can help then do let me know.  My mother (Margaret Irene Smyth nee Glasier) is 89 and still very active - but of course Tom dies before she was born.
My grandfather Fred was also an auctioneer - and practised as an auctioneer and land agent in Winterton, as well as being a tenant farmer in Roxby. He married into the White family - farmers and tulip growers in Spalding.
Regards
Chris   

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 12 August 18 20:12 BST (UK) »
Hi again Chris  :)

Here's the page from our local War Memorial site.

Frank.

https://www.thornewarmemorial.org.uk/ww1/glaiser_t_a.html
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline Chrissmyth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 12 August 18 20:33 BST (UK) »
Frank - many thanks indeed.
Kind regards
Chris