Author Topic: Need help Please, Is this Soldier's regiment Kings Own Royal Lancaster? photo id  (Read 2505 times)

Offline T1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Need help Please, Is this Soldier's regiment Kings Own Royal Lancaster? photo id
« Reply #18 on: Friday 03 August 18 13:19 BST (UK) »
To be more specific -

- Pelisses were worn by a couple of yeomanry regiments pre-WW1, but never over a long-skirted tunic as seen here (not generally called a dolman in British service).
- The Austrian knot seen on the corners of the skirts of the tunic was never part of any British uniform in this position.
- The flared top Hussar busby shown was not worn by any British unit.  This is the specifically German-looking part - search "German Hussar" and you will see what I mean.

I don't particularly think the uniform is definitely German, just German influenced, but certainly not British, regardless.

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
Re: Need help Please, Is this Soldier's regiment Kings Own Royal Lancaster? photo id
« Reply #19 on: Friday 03 August 18 13:36 BST (UK) »
I have the two part Paul Pietsch work on Prussian/German uniforms from 1808 to 1914 including the new 1910 field grey ones.
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline Raysgirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 03 August 18 23:18 BST (UK) »
T1 and Regorian, thank you for your very interesting and informative replies not what I was expecting to hear. so it could be a German Hussar uniform or even a fancy dress. There are so many foreign Hussar regiments with similar looking uniforms. Not sure about it being fancy dress but the Victorians seemed to dress up a lot  in costumes for photographs. I don't think I will ever get to the bottom of who this is, unfortunately. anne
Davies,McMahon,Mullan,Mitchell,Haworth,Horrocks,Cocker,Crowther, Wood,Trainor.

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 04 August 18 08:10 BST (UK) »
Certainly not British or German. Not fancy dress, he's smart and soldier like.

Does your family have any European connections? Eastern Europe or Spain even.

Winston Churchill, 4th Hussars 1895.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hussar#/media/File:Churchill,_uniform.jpg.

Princess Victoria Louise of Prussia/Germany in military drag, 2nd Life Hussars aka Deaths Head Hussars. Of course 'Granny' was Queen Victoria.

http://www.wikiwand.com/en/Princess_Victoria_Louise_of_Prussia.

Sorry couldn't be of more help.

Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline Raysgirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 04 August 18 19:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Regorian, Sorry I misunderstood . Well I am glad its not fancy dress. These uniforms are very smart, Young Winston looked splendid in his uniform ( My Gt Grandad was Winstons press agent when he started his political career in Oldham) and Princess Louise certainly cut a dash in her uniform. This has got very intriguing the connection is on my husbands side and I have been saying for years that his Grandad had foreign blood but no one else could see it and have no knowledge of any overseas connections. I now need to delve more into my husbands family history and try and track some information on the photography studio.  Thank you once again Anne

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 05 August 18 07:45 BST (UK) »
Thank you Raysgirl. very interesting that your ancestor was Churchill's press agent. Super pic. isn't it. There's another one from about same time, only better, but couldn't find it. Your photo is not Russian or Austro-Hungarian Hussar either, might be Rumanian or Bulgarian, but a long shot on my part. Canadian Army had 4 regiments of hussars, probably still do by title. Of course they looked like British.

Offline Raysgirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 05 August 18 19:23 BST (UK) »
Thank you Regorian for continuing to look at this Hussar uniform I have looked at Bulgarian Romanian and Canadien Hussar uniform but the artists impressions are not very clear.On a lot of these images no  actual real soldiers in Hussar uniform when I google it. The Busby Plumes all appear quite long but the one on the photo is short in comparison. Thanks Anne