Author Topic: John McLeod - where did you go?  (Read 2276 times)

Offline Jang

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
John McLeod - where did you go?
« on: Sunday 29 July 18 03:24 BST (UK) »
I'm looking for a John McLeod between 1826 and 1851, probably in Ross and Cromarty. Can anyone help?

What I know:
John McLeod married Margaret McGregor on 16 January 1809 in Kinardine, Ross and Cromarty. He was of the parish of Creich and Margaret of Kincardine.

They had at least 8 children baptised Kincardine: Isabella 1809, Donald 1811, George 1817, Helen 1819, Hugh ca 1821, John 1822, Alexander 1823 and Margaret 1827.

In 1841 Margaret, 40, crofter's mother, was living with her son, George, 20, crofter, and daughter, Margaret, 15, in Hill of Ardgay.

In 1851 Margaret was a widow, aged 60, crofter of 1 1/2 acres, living with her son George, unmarried 30, gamekeeper, and granddaughter Margaret, 10, on Ardgay Hill.

Margaret died in 1862 in Ardgay.

I can't find baptisms for either John or Margaret. According to her death certificate, she was born about 1786, the daughter of Hugh McGregor/Grigor, tenant farmer, and Margaret Rose. The informant was her son, John.

John is a complete mystery. It's possible that he died before 1841, if Margaret was living with her son then. I've looked for burials on SP but the name is too common in the area.

Any leads gratefully accepted :-)

Jan
England:
Durham: COULSON, FENWICK, HUNTER, LOWES, NAYLOR, ROBSON
Norfolk: DEWING, OUGHTON, TAYLOR,
Lancashire: TWEDDLE
Ireland: KEATING, KIRBY, Limerick; NELSON, Donegal
Scotland: BENNIE, Glasgow; COOK, Renfrewshire; HENDERSON, Alloa/Dundee; HUNTER, Glasgow; KIRKWOOD, Alloa; LAMONT, Dalkeith; YOUNG, Glasgow
Switzerland: VOSTI, DELUBINI
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: John McLeod - where did you go?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 29 July 18 09:14 BST (UK) »
On SP it doesn't look good for his death in Ross ad Cromarty? Perhaps he died in Sutherland?

Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 29 July 18 11:23 BST (UK) »
The Parish registers on SP, as noted below, means that the birth record for Margaret or death of John is unlikely to be there,
Kincardine – Births 1804 – 1854  & Marriages 1804 – 1860 Deaths none

If John was born in Creich, Sutherland the records there are Births 1785 – 1854, marriages 1809 – 1855 no deaths. However the earliest McLeod birth record is 1812.

If John was born elsewhere in the county there are a couple of possibilities but some distance from Creich such as Dunrness,  Golspie & Clyne.

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 29 July 18 11:31 BST (UK) »
Only a small % of burial records are recorded.

It might be best to see if the Kirk Session records of the parish are easily available (can be accessed from the large centres in Scotand). These might show burial or  mortcloth info.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Jang

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 29 July 18 13:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks to all for the feedback. I suspected that the baptism and burial records might not exist.

I didn't think of mortcloth records. I did think of Kirk Session records when researching their daughter, Isabella, who was born "in antenuptial fornication to John Macleod and Margaret Macgrigor in Teaninver (Tain, Inver?) on 24 April 1809" but couldn't find out where or if they existed.

England:
Scotland: BENNIE, Glasgow; COOK, Renfrewshire; HENDERSON, Alloa/Dundee; HUNTER, Glasgow; KIRKWOOD, Alloa; LAMONT, Dalkeith; YOUNG, Glasgow

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 29 July 18 14:15 BST (UK) »
Looks as if the Kirk Sessions records aren't available for that far back for Kincardine:

Established Church—Kirk Session Records

The Kirk session was the court of the parish. The session was made up of the minister and the land owners and business men of the parish, chosen to serve on the session. The Kirk session dealt with moral issues, minor criminal cases, matters of the poor and education, matters of discipline, and the general concerns of the parish. Kirk session records may also mention births, marriages, and deaths.

Here is a list of the surviving Kirk session records for this parish:

Minutes 1804–1819, 1825, 1830, 1851
Minutes and Accounts 1845–1855
Heritors Minute’s 1844–1854
Other post-1855 records
Note: Available at the National Archives of Scotland, Edinburgh, record CH2/1356.

https://www.familysearch.org/wiki/en/Kincardine,_Ross_and_Cromarty,_Scotland

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Jang

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 30 July 18 01:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Gadget, no joy for this couple but a useful reference for me. :-)

IJan
England:

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 08 August 18 23:39 BST (UK) »
in Teaninver (Tain, Inver?)
Unlikely if the baptism was in Kincardine, because Tain and Kincardine are separate parishes and therefore mutually exclusive.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 09 August 18 09:31 BST (UK) »
Teaninver,  Taigh an Inbhir, the house at the river/burn mouth.

Skoosh.