Author Topic: Royd Pitts, nr Netherton or Thornhill, Yorkshire  (Read 5909 times)

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
Re: Royd Pitts, nr Netherton or Thornhill, Yorkshire
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 11 October 18 05:05 BST (UK) »
Priest Royd is local  pronounced like Pitts Royd local slang as 'How Royd beck' runs down Stony Royd Pitt (at Thornhill Edge chapel) to 'Smithy Brook'

Anyway all the Royd's are around 'How Royd beck' (Starts at Lower Whitley then runs towards and joins Smithy brook towards Netherton below Thornhill village on the hill above. The hamlet (Village) called Smithy Brook is on the connecting lane from Thornhill village at as Frank Lane to Netherton village.

"How Royd Beck' starts at Lower Whitey at How Royd lane
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 11 October 18 13:02 BST (UK) »
dobfarm, Thanks for that, I'll explore further.

Michael, Who are you descended from?

William Hey and Elizabeth Taylor, married 1735, Thornhill, were my husband's 5G grandparents.
Then John Hey baptised 1735/36 Thornhill, 'of Pitt Royds', married Sarah England 1770, Edlington.
Then their daughter Martha Hey baptised 1777, Thornhill, 'Of Netherton' married Thomas Lister 1798.

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline shelleyite

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 11 October 18 15:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Margaret

Thanks for posting your reply. We presume our ancestors were William Hey and Elizabeth Taylor, m.1735. Its their son William Hey, younger brother of John, b.Thornhill (Pitt Royds) (or Silkstone), 20 Sept 1747, who would be next in line as our ancestor.

Dobfarm's kind response on the Pitt Royds conundrum is interesting, but the questions it throws up, given there was definitely a Pitt Royd in Silkstone, did William and Elizabeth reside in Silkstone, because his son William and his son Richard did live in Silkstone, then Cawthorne, or did they originate from Priest Royd near Thornhill?

Offline shelleyite

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 11 October 18 16:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Dobfarm
Thanks for posting your response on the 'Pitt Royds' conundrum and taking the time to research this for us. I did then locate Priest Royd on the map.
Confusing as our Hey ancestors were settled in Silkstone area in the late 18C, where there is a Pitt Royd documented there in 1707. Still a bit to go to find the origins of our family. Thanks again.

Michael

Offline shelleyite

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 11 October 18 16:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Margaret
Just to add I have considered researching Savile Estate records covering Thornhill, for any documented evidence of the Heys of that period, i.e. rent books etc., but not ready for that task yet as it may take a lot of effort and time perhaps!

Michael

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 11 October 18 16:40 BST (UK) »
Michael and dobfarm.

I have found Priest Royds Wood, about 2.5 miles from Thornhill. If this is pronounced Pitt Royds/s as you say, dobfarm, I think it is much more likely to be near here than Silkstone, about 11 miles away.

Not actually found Priest Royds as yet, is it near these woods, to the SW of Thornhill?

Michael, Have you or anyone in your family had autosomal DNA testing done? William Hey and Elizabeth Taylor were husband's 5G grandparents, potentially a match with him.

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Offline shelleyite

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 11 October 18 17:18 BST (UK) »
Margaret

We have not had DNA testing done, but from the ancestry line we must be pretty close match!!
Priest Royd Wood is just west of Ouzelwell Lane. If you open the following link and zoom in on pin marker and scroll around a bit, you should find the woods. Then if you have zoomed in sufficiently, you should find just south of there, a place name 'Priest'.
https://getoutside.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/local/shrogg-wood-kirklees-wf120sa
If that is the location of Pitt Royd the dwellings may be long gone, if there was one at all!

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 12 October 18 00:40 BST (UK) »
as map image
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 12 October 18 05:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that, Michael and dobfarm.

I did start a reply yesterday, then got distracted before it was sent!

"Found it, Thanks. If you zoom in far enough it actually says Priest Royd not just Priest.
It was where I thought it could be. On Google Maps if you locate Priest Royd Woods, then go back a little North to the road, there looks like the remains of an old building. Couldn't say for sure, perhaps dobfarm knows?

Or even the buildings clustered on Ouzlewell Lane, south of Priest Royd.

And I should have said before, a very warm welcome to Rootschat, Michael!"

But now a map from dobfarm, thank you very much, confirming the fact that there were no dwellings there. They may have lived in a ramshackle hovel, they may have lived in luxury (doubtful), but whatever, I am a lot closer to knowing than I was when I first posted this query.

And found a 'cousin' as well.

Thanks once again to you both, and everyone else who has contributed.

Regards Margaret​