Author Topic: The mystery of St James, Paddington (any London burials experts out there?)  (Read 861 times)

Offline clb222

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
So I have multiple relatives apparently buried, according to their records, at the church of St James, Paddington, in the 1740s and 50s.
But according to wikipedia, said church was built in 1841! And was an entirely new church, not a replacement for an old one. Yet apparently, parish records exist for it dating back to 1655.

Where might my relatives actually have been buried?

Thanks!

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline clb222

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: The mystery of St James, Paddington (any London burials experts out there?)
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 29 July 18 11:20 BST (UK) »
Thank you! LizzieL's post was particularly helpful:
>I suspect that when the new parish church was built, the registers transferred and the older records were labelled as St J when the event actually happened in St M.

Sounds very plausible. Off to see if any monument inscriptions for St Mary's exist.  :)

Offline JRGaineycw

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: The mystery of St James, Paddington (any London burials experts out there?)
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 14 November 21 03:16 GMT (UK) »
I don't remember where I read it, and I can't find it in my notes--yet, but, I remember reading that St. James, Paddington was a parish which had a huge population of Hugenot refugees and that it was either moved or demolished in the Victorian era to make way for a railroad station.  Whemn i find tyhis reference, i will add it to this list.  Note the title of the GENUKI page: "St Mary (also sometimes St James until 1818, was St Nicholas, Paddington, Church of England[)]" https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/MDX/Paddington/StMaryalsosometimesStJamesuntil1818wasStNicholas  I hope this helps!

JRGaineycw
South Carolina, USA