Author Topic: Volunteers Needed To Make Commemorative Poppies  (Read 4209 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Volunteers Needed To Make Commemorative Poppies
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 05 September 18 12:13 BST (UK) »
I have handed my sister-in-laws poppies today and another four from me ..
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Volunteers Needed To Knit Or Crochet Commemorative Poppies
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 05 September 18 12:30 BST (UK) »
When I called along this morning to the Linskill, a group called 'Woolley Minded' (a knitting & crochet group at the Linskill) were all in a hive of activity.  They are counting and adding attachments to the many poppies they have received.  They are also now planning regarding the final designs of the displays.  I have been told that the number '100' for the number of years which have passed since the first Armistice has been suggested as a possible idea. 

The aim is to have 4,000 poppies (one for each North Tyneside person who served and was killed as an outcome of the Great War) made by the end of September ready for the displays to go up this November.  It is estimated that they now need around 500 poppies to reach the aimed for number. 

Please help if you can.  I know each and every poppy is greatly appreciated.  I was told by a lady from this group this morning that they are so very pleased with the support that has been forthcoming. :)

A big thank you to any of you who may have sent or taken poppies along.   :)

I have attached a photo of a possible design in progress .. can't wait to see the final displays around North Tyneside in November! :D
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 24 September 18 11:46 BST (UK) »
Happy to Announce .. MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!! :D ... sort of ..

The lady who is behind this event has now informed me that the great feat of making 4000 poppies - to represent each of those who lived in North Tyneside in the Great War, then known as the Tynemouth area, and who served in the Great War and were killed as a result of this - has now been achieved.

Thank you so much to any of you who may have sent or taken knitted or crochet poppies along to the Linskill Centre for the displays - this is very much appreciated.

However, the lady who is behind this project has also informed me that they would like people to continue with the making of poppies as they would now like to have some more as it is now also planned to make strings of poppies to weave between the railings of the cemeteries and to perhaps add smaller wreaths in addition to the main displays in order to create an even more stand out effect.  I think the Tyneside displays are sure to look quite impressive when finished for November from what I am hearing and I am going to try to get some photos of the finished displays on here when these go up. :)

So, please carry on making the poppies if you can, as there is still a need for more now.

I am attaching a photo of my latest two poppies which I have handed in recently.

Thank you.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 09 October 18 13:07 BST (UK) »
I am attaching a photo of my latest poppy which I dropped off at the Linskill this morning - (with several others made by a friend).

They would like poppy knitters to continue with this work as they continue to need poppies which will be attached to strands and woven between railings.  This will be another decorative feature to go along with the displays. :)

The Newcastle Evening Chronicle has now also put out a 'rallying call' for poppy knitters to help with commemorative decorations for Newcastle.

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/whats-on/whats-on-news/newcastle-poppes-wool-memorial-war-15225881

So come on poppy knitters .. our ancestors did their bit in the Great War .. let us knitters do our bit now by making poppies to commemorate them and the peace which finally came in 1918! :)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 09 October 18 17:20 BST (UK) »
Members of the church near me have made 450 poppies for our town display.
Cowban

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 09 October 18 18:15 BST (UK) »
Gosh well done,well we will do our rather belated commemoration and at least something has been done.
Our church is  in the centre of our little town so every year we do have the service at the little cenotaph in the church gardens,two minutes silence and a service attended by The British Legion then in church .
But this time is so special.
Spoke to someone the other day who had been shopping with a friend on the market,the friend bought a poppy ,fabric,from a stall.
My friend said why not buy one from the  British Legion,the other person asked well why should they get all the money ,my friend explained how the money is used,to no avail.
How can an elderly person have escaped knowing why poppies are sold,as remembrance yes but to support injured soldiers is the main overriding principle.Those on the market were not supporting anyone only the vendor no doubt.
You can’t believe it can you.
Viktoria.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 10 October 18 11:58 BST (UK) »
Maiden Stone, that is fantastic that so many poppies have been made by Church members for your town.

What a commemoration there is going to be this special year!  I expect there will be many displays of poppies to be seen up and down the nation and I have heard that all Church bells will be rung to commemorate the peace that finally came in 1918.  I expect November 11th this year in particular will be quite an emotional day for many of us.

Viktoria, I agree - you just can't believe that anyone would even consider buying  a poppy at a stall rather than from the British Legion.  I think it is a bit despicable that a stall holder would even sell poppies on their stall to line their own pockets.

The poppies sold by the British Legion are sold for a purpose and we should all support that rather than unofficial individuals who seem out to line their own pockets.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 11 October 18 16:43 BST (UK) »
Here is a poster at the Newcastle City library regarding the Newcastle poppy making ..

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 16 October 18 08:51 BST (UK) »
As I live in North Tyneside I am helping out with the poppy making in this area.

However, if you live in the Newcastle area and if you are willing and able to, there is going to be a group poppy knitting session today between 11 am and 2 pm at the Grainger Market.  These will be used to decorate a memorial in Newcastle over the Armistice Centenary.