Author Topic: Is it Rootschat or Chrome/Windows?  (Read 2520 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Is it Rootschat or Chrome/Windows?
« on: Sunday 29 July 18 13:41 BST (UK) »
Just noticed some changes to the way Rootschat is working for me and wondered if the site has been tweaked (Trystan?) or if some unwanted Chrome or Windows updates have done this.

1) I look at unread topics, click on one then press 'back' button. Used to be that I would return to previous page (unread topics) which included the topic I had just viewed. This was especially handy when having to read through pages of unread topics. Now, when I click back button the just viewed topic does not appear on the list.

2) When typing a reply I click on return key to start a new line. Now, I press the return key and the typing box doesn't show me starting a new line. Sometimes if has actually started a new line and other times it hasn't. When it has started a new line this isn't indicated sometimes until I start typing a new paragraph.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Is it Rootschat or Chrome/Windows?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 29 July 18 13:46 BST (UK) »

1) I look at unread topics, click on one then press 'back' button. Used to be that I would return to previous page (unread topics) which included the topic I had just viewed.

That still works for me using Chrome & Windows 8.1 (Just tried it with this post)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 29 July 18 13:50 BST (UK) »
I don't think it's Rootschat, I have the same problem on lots of sites I use and I've got Windows 10 and Firefox.  It's getting so bad that it takes me twice as long to do the transcribing I do, everything just seems so slow, or "it's not responding" etc.

The other thing is I could have 2 tabs open at once for instance Rootschat and SkyNews and I could flip between the two easily.  Now when I flip to Sky the screen is blank (even though it wasn't when I changed to Roots) and takes at least 30 seconds to wind itself up again.  If I then flip back to Roots, the same thing happens.  It happens with every single website I open, and it's the same thing even if I've just clicked on the little - at the top left hand corner of the screen to just have a page open on the taskbar.

My guess is that it's something to do with Windows, I don't know what they've done, but some days I feel like just throwing my laptop through the window.  ::)

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 29 July 18 13:50 BST (UK) »
Issue 1 has always been like that for me using Windows 7 & Opera.  There seems to be no rhyme nor reason why sometimes the topic I have just read remains in the unread list when I use the back arrow and sometimes it doesn't.  It is very hit and miss which I have gotten used to.

Haven't experienced issue 2 though.

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 29 July 18 13:52 BST (UK) »
Sorry, I forgot to mention this computer is Windows 10 Home edition, Thanks for the replies.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 29 July 18 13:54 BST (UK) »
Rosie - I see you still have Windows 8.1, so maybe it's Windows 10 that's causing the problem.  For instance just now I clicked on Reply to type this post, and after about 30 seconds the screen went blank, then another 30 seconds and it started coming back with the top of the page visible first, then slowly the rest of the page coming into view.

Online mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 29 July 18 14:01 BST (UK) »
I tried 10 mins ago, read your first post then went “back”. Your post was still in unread,  I tried again, read all the replies and went back, it’s no longer there.  The difference is that “unread posts” had been updated with a new post while I was away.

I am on iPad and safari
Mike

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 29 July 18 14:23 BST (UK) »
Thanks Mazi for your reply but that's not the issue. What now happens to me is that using the 'back' button doesn't bring me back to the exact page I was previously seeing but to an updated version without me manually refreshing the page.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 29 July 18 14:38 BST (UK) »
I have played around with my W8 desktop and it always returns to the page I looked at last.  Just tried it on W10 laptop with the same result (also Chrome) BUT I have not done any W10 updates for a long time as I hardly use the lap top.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk