Author Topic: Wyn and Ivy Black (Adams) of Brixton: Musical stars of the 1930s.  (Read 5561 times)

Offline Kevin, now in Chester

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Wyn and Ivy Black (Adams) of Brixton: Musical stars of the 1930s.
« on: Sunday 29 July 18 15:55 BST (UK) »
I remain intrigued by this photograph which I remember since my childhood.  My late mother said that she had no idea who the two ladies in this photograph were.  I imagined that my father, who died when I was two, might have brought the photograph back to Stepney with him after serving with the RN in WWII.  Perhaps they were actresses or entertainers for the troops that he had met in the West End (there is an address:10 Grey House, Duke York (sic), London W1 hand written on the back). 
Or are they bridesmaids from an unknown wedding?
The names Ivy and Jean are written on the front (neither of which are family names) and there is the address on the back, but there are no other markings.
Can anyone put a date to the photograph or suggest who or what the subjects might be?
Kevin now in Chester
Taylor, Wright, Paul (East London) and Carter (Wickford, Orsett, Grays, Leyton, Essex), Holmes (Folkestone) and McHugh/McCue (Ireland/Pontypridd/Chester/Saltney)

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
Re: West End Girls: East End Boy?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 29 July 18 18:29 BST (UK) »
Looks 1930's to me.
Possibly Duke of York theatre.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 29 July 18 22:51 BST (UK) »
Lovely photograph - looks like a promotional picture of the type handed out by actors and actresses.  What is written at the top left?   Looks to me like 'Love to J.....', which would be the sort of thing written on photographs handed out to fans at performances or at the stage door.
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 29 July 18 22:55 BST (UK) »
I thought the same thing Chris....at the top the name is Jean. The address doesn't show on the 1939 register. I love it. I think they look alike...maybe Sisters or even twins. I too think it is 1930s.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 29 July 18 23:21 BST (UK) »
I agree Carol - sisters or twins.  I see that the Duke of York Theatre was damaged (presumably in the blitz) and was closed from 1940, re-opening in 1943.   I would hazard a guess that this photo was taken before 1940 which would agree with Jim's date.   So, we are looking for a double act, sisters or twins, by the name of Jean and Ivy.
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 29 July 18 23:40 BST (UK) »
I read it as being signed for Jean and I can't make out the name at the bottom before Ivy..if that's what it says.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline HeatherLynne

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 29 July 18 23:42 BST (UK) »
Seems to me it's addressed 'love to Jean' and signed 'someone & Ivy'

Same as Treetotal says
Heather
Rassell - South Hayling/Portsea/Chelsea,  Hellyer - Totnes/Islington,  Roots - Hackney,  Edden - St Pancras

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 29 July 18 23:48 BST (UK) »
Zooming in close-up I think the lower inscription is 'Love from Ivy' which sort of echoes the 'Love from Jean' at the top of the pic.  Would be interesting to find a double act of the relevant period!

Offline tonepad

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 30 July 18 06:45 BST (UK) »
There are two words embossed at the bottom right hand corner of the photo - but unable to read the fancy script.

Tony
Aucock/Aukett~Kent/Sussex, Broadway~Oxfordshire, Danks~Warwickshire, Fenn~Kent/Norfolk, Goatham~Kent, Hunt~Kent, Parker~Middlesex, Perry~Kent, Sellers~Kent/Yorkshire, Sladden~Kent, Wright~Kent/Essex