Author Topic: Kelly ancestors is it mission impossible?  (Read 6217 times)

Offline Debbyh

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Kelly ancestors is it mission impossible?
« on: Monday 30 July 18 13:56 BST (UK) »
Hi my name is Debby Heavey
I don't know if anyone can help. I am trying to trace my husband's ancestors and have really hit a brick wall. My husband's grandfather was Eugene Heavey from Ahabeg, Lixnaw in County Kerry. He was born out of wedlock and baptised with his mother's surname Quilter. Having come to a standstill there I hoped to have better luck with his grandmother who was named Ellen Kelly, however I am equally finding this impossible. I know she and Eugene married in 1917 at the Church of the Causeway in Ballyduff and that her father was named John Kelly ( a labourer). But that is all I can find. She died before my husband's parents married in 1955 but when I do not know exactly when and I can find no records. My husband's father died in 1976 so I am really stumped. If anyone has any knowledge of Ellen Kelly I would be very grateful. Who knew research would be this tricky!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Kelly ancestors is it mission impossible?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 30 July 18 14:04 BST (UK) »
When was Ellen Kelly born? If you've already found her in 1901 and 1911 census then please post the links to save us from having to search for the same information.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Debbyh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 30 July 18 14:31 BST (UK) »
Hi
Thank you for a swift reply.I am sorry but I have no idea when she was born. I only know the marriage certificate says she is of full age and was a spinster. I don't even know if she was born in Ballyduff. I know when she married the family lived in Ahabeg. On the 1901 and 1911 census Eugene works on his uncle Francis Quilter's farm so I assume he is still doing this when they  married. There were many children - Eugene born 1919, Joseph 1918, Elizabeth 1925, Thomas 1926, Bridget 1925,  Sean 1924, Eileen 1928, Myra 1931 and Patrick 1932. There is also an Agnes who I often saw when we lived in Coventry (who I can find no record of.) Of course many of the girls' names are different Myra is Mary Ann and Eileen is Ellen so I assume Agnes must have a different birth name. Most of the family moved to England. Eugene (dad) is buried in Coventry as are Myra, Eugene and Thomas ( my husband's father) Eileen and Agnes are the remaining family members. Elizabeth became a nun. That, I am afraid, is the sum total of my knowledge.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 30 July 18 15:33 BST (UK) »
Quite a bit of useful information on the marriage certificate- Ellen was living in Creveen-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1917/09740/5534587.pdf
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Debbyh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 30 July 18 15:52 BST (UK) »
I spotted Creveen but got 'no results' when I looked at the 1901 and 1911 census. Are there other records which might help that I could access? I also wondered whether or not she was in domestic service. Does of full age mean she was over the age of 18? I have my father in law's birth certificate but apart from her name there is no other clue to help either. Thank you again

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 30 July 18 15:55 BST (UK) »
I spotted Creveen but got 'no results' when I looked at the 1901 and 1911 census. Are there other records which might help that I could access? I also wondered whether or not she was in domestic service. Does of full age mean she was over the age of 18? I have my father in law's birth certificate but apart from her name there is no other clue to help either. Thank you again

Does of full age mean she was over the age of 18?   Yes!!

Full Age was 21...or more
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Debbyh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 30 July 18 16:07 BST (UK) »
That's what I thought. Eugene was born in 1885, but again that doesn't help!

Offline Debbyh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 30 July 18 16:18 BST (UK) »
Thank you - those records are interesting and certainly have some cross overs. I will have a good look at these and see if they lead anywhere. Fingers crossed!