Author Topic: Train Travel 1911-1920  (Read 3901 times)

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Train Travel 1911-1920
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 12 August 18 07:25 BST (UK) »
I think I can save you a trip?

On the bottom of that page from Workhouses.org, it says:

Records

Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals.

Edinburgh City Archives, Level 1, City Chambers, 253 High Street, Edinburgh EH1 1YJ, Scotland. Only a very few financial and other administrative records survive, but no inmate registers etc.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 12 August 18 10:08 BST (UK) »
Edinburgh City Archives, Level 1, City Chambers, 253 High Street, Edinburgh EH1 1YJ, Scotland. Only a very few financial and other administrative records survive, but no inmate registers etc.
But in the subject guide to their own records, Edinburgh City Archives say, "Parochial Board/Poorhouse (n.b. minutes are always worth checking for individual cases)".
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Daonnachd

• RootsChat Member
  • kindness is free, sprinkle that stuff everywhere
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 12 August 18 11:46 BST (UK) »
But in the subject guide to their own records, Edinburgh City Archives say, "Parochial Board/Poorhouse (n.b. minutes are always worth checking for individual cases)".

This is what I thought.
While I might not find anything specific to the workhouse inmate records, I had look at what else might be available. Apparently the City Fever Hospital kept records of their patient's illnesses, as on occasion they would have individual's homes assessed to find out if and how the patients living conditions might have contributed to their illness, and if this could be addressed.

My Grandmother, and her 1st husband - my Grandfather - died of Pulmonary TB, which would obviously have been common in poorer areas of any city. I am hoping there will be records somewhere that might tell me more about their lives.

I'd like to find out more about this for a number of reasons, obviously the family connection, but I am also an ex-nurse with an interest in social history.

I imagine they lived in particularly run down parts of Leith, as for the most part the addresses I have for them no longer exist. While these houses may have been pulled down due to bomb damage in WW2, I think it likely they were eventually deemed unfit to live in.

Lindsey

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 12 August 18 12:12 BST (UK) »
I know Leith fairly well. As you say lots of the streets no longer exist as many were knocked down in the 1960's as the people were living in slum conditions even as recently as this date. I had relatives who were still sharing an outside toilet with numerous other families until around 1967 in Leith.

What street names do you have?

Dorrie
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline Daonnachd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 12 August 18 13:16 BST (UK) »
I know Leith fairly well. As you say lots of the streets no longer exist as many were knocked down in the 1960's as the people were living in slum conditions even as recently as this date. I had relatives who were still sharing an outside toilet with numerous other families until around 1967 in Leith.

What street names do you have?

Dorrie

There's a question - they moved around a bit. Some of these street names are taken from Census records, and others from Birth/Death records. My Grandmother and her family lived at the addresses below, between 1881 and 1925.

Darlings Brae
Sandport St
Ferrier St
Jane St
Quality St
Coatfield Lane
Giles St
Commercial St

I know some of these streets do still, but not all the buildings my people lived in seem to. I partly know this from going on Streetview, but I also visited Leith a couple of years ago and had a good walk round. The Jane St address for example was I believe, next door to a building opposite the old railway arches that still exists. I believe it was a mission?

I had read that some buildings were still standing in the 60's. I didn't realise people were still sharing toilets with their neighbours though. Where I grew up, there were still houses with outside lavatories in the 60's, but they were at least private to one household.

Would I be right in thinking that the sharing of facilities was due to tenement living? 

Thanks your help dowdstree

Lindsey

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 12 August 18 17:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Lindsey,

I know all of the street you named except Darlings Brae. As you say there has been a lot of redevelopment over the last 40/50 years. The building in Jane Street was a Mission at one time but I can't quite remember which church it belonged to

You are correct about the shared facilities being due to tenement living. These houses were usually a living room/kitchen and 1 bedroom. I used to hate visiting my relatives in case I need the "loo". When they were rehoused my aunt thought she had died and gone to heaven (excuse the phrase) because she had a separate kitchen, 3 bedrooms and a toilet with a bath. Prior to this they used the public baths.

I still enjoy a walk round "Sunny Leith".
Dorrie

Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline Daonnachd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 12 August 18 19:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Lindsey,

I know all of the street you named except Darlings Brae. As you say there has been a lot of redevelopment over the last 40/50 years. The building in Jane Street was a Mission at one time but I can't quite remember which church it belonged to

You are correct about the shared facilities being due to tenement living. These houses were usually a living room/kitchen and 1 bedroom. I used to hate visiting my relatives in case I need the "loo". When they were rehoused my aunt thought she had died and gone to heaven (excuse the phrase) because she had a separate kitchen, 3 bedrooms and a toilet with a bath. Prior to this they used the public baths.

I still enjoy a walk round "Sunny Leith".
Dorrie

Hi Dorrie,

Yes, I have looked a several maps from the period and found every street except Darlings Brae. I'm sure its correct, because it is stated on my Grandmother's and her siblings' birth certs, as well as on the census report for 1881.

I have seen other 'Brae's on some maps, and wondered if 'Brae' meant anything in particular? I've tried translating it online, but there doesn't seem to be an English word for it.

By comparing maps, it looks as though the part of Ferrier St they lived in has since been demolished in favour of large blocks of flats.

I really appreciate your input Dorrie,

Lindsey

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 12 August 18 19:46 BST (UK) »
I have seen other 'Brae's on some maps, and wondered if 'Brae' meant anything in particular? I've tried translating it online, but there doesn't seem to be an English word for it.
A brae is a slope. It is a very common element of place names in Scotland (Braeside, Braehead etc), and is still in current use. 

Chambers Dictionary and the OED both say that it is from Old Norse 'bra' meaning 'eyelid' or 'brow'. As in the English phrase 'the brow of the hill'. Not, apparently, connected to Gaelic 'braigh' which means a top or summit.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline carlineric

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 12 August 18 19:59 BST (UK) »
Found it - it's between Yardheads and Giles Street see https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=19&lat=55.9729&lon=-3.1726&layers=71&b=5. Did a "walk" through the Census on Ancestry and found Darling's Brae was between Yardheads and Giles Street, the 1881 PO Directory shows it is near Yardheads. Looks as if had been demolished by 1891 as the 1891 Bartholemew doesn't show it.

Eric