Author Topic: Train Travel 1911-1920  (Read 3860 times)

Offline Daonnachd

• RootsChat Member
  • kindness is free, sprinkle that stuff everywhere
    • View Profile
Re: Train Travel 1911-1920
« Reply #27 on: Monday 13 August 18 00:57 BST (UK) »
I have seen other 'Brae's on some maps, and wondered if 'Brae' meant anything in particular? I've tried translating it online, but there doesn't seem to be an English word for it.
A brae is a slope. It is a very common element of place names in Scotland (Braeside, Braehead etc), and is still in current use. 

Chambers Dictionary and the OED both say that it is from Old Norse 'bra' meaning 'eyelid' or 'brow'. As in the English phrase 'the brow of the hill'. Not, apparently, connected to Gaelic 'braigh' which means a top or summit.

Thank you for explaining this Forfarian, I do like to know such things, it puts an address or town into an environmental context. 

Offline Daonnachd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 13 August 18 01:12 BST (UK) »
Found it - it's between Yardheads and Giles Street see https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=19&lat=55.9729&lon=-3.1726&layers=71&b=5. Did a "walk" through the Census on Ancestry and found Darling's Brae was between Yardheads and Giles Street, the 1881 PO Directory shows it is near Yardheads. Looks as if had been demolished by 1891 as the 1891 Bartholemew doesn't show it.

Eric

Thank you so much Eric for your tenacity! I can see where you mean. It would have been near to where Henderson St. & Spiers Place are now.

You could well be right about Darlings Brae not existing by 1891. I know I haven't found it on maps around then; and sometime between 1885 and the 1891 census the family had moved to Sandport St.

Just FYI the Quality St the family went on to is now Maritime St., not the one near Queensferry Road.

Thanks again for your help.

Lindsey

Offline carlineric

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 13 August 18 07:13 BST (UK) »
It did take some finding. First I found an entry Darling's Brae on the 1881 Census and then worked backwards then forwards to find the streets before and after. I then started to look at the maps on NLS the 25 inch and 1/1250 georeferenced did not show it, I then used the street plans listing and eventually found it.

Eric

Offline Daonnachd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 13 August 18 10:43 BST (UK) »
It did take some finding. First I found an entry Darling's Brae on the 1881 Census and then worked backwards then forwards to find the streets before and after. I then started to look at the maps on NLS the 25 inch and 1/1250 georeferenced did not show it, I then used the street plans listing and eventually found it.

Eric

You are an absolute star Eric!

I could have worked through the census records myself, but didn't think of it.

The other big thing you did was finding that map!

I had found maps, but like you say, Darlings Brae wasn't listed.  However my maps were probably 1891 or later. It never occurred to me that Darlings Brae would be gone by then.

Lindsey