Author Topic: Train Travel 1911-1920  (Read 3866 times)

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Train Travel 1911-1920
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 01 August 18 10:00 BST (UK) »
https://www.google.com/search?q=Anstruther+railway+station&client=firefox-b&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=OgL9zMffuXa4ZM%253A%252CHyEHnOwfklBn8M%252C_&usg=AFrqEzeFpmGyNK6DMFTcqaSvv38QqirCKA&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjlvbuKvcvcAhVJTMAKHRISAMwQ9QEwB3oECAUQBg#imgrc=efooimacX2pphM:

Young boys of my dad's generation - he was born in 1911 - used to hang around Anstruther station when a train was due in and as the passengers alighted the boys would swarm around them with cries of "Carry your bags sir?" As the station was situated on the fringes of the combined villages of Anstruther and Cellardyke, that could mean a long, heavy carry, for the reward of a sixpence or whatever they could haggle for.

The station staff prided themselves on keeping their station spick and span, e.g. by planting colourful flower beds, and there were competitions for the best-kept station.

Harry

Offline Daonnachd

• RootsChat Member
  • kindness is free, sprinkle that stuff everywhere
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 01 August 18 10:18 BST (UK) »
There were also ferries operating from Granton (just beside Leith) over to Burntisland and from there they could make their way overland to K.

Of course!!!  ::) I hadn't thought about that. Some of my grandmother's in-laws also worked as 'boatmen' in Leith. I still can't help thinking she might have 'bunked the fare' to get there.  ;D

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 11 August 18 10:12 BST (UK) »
From Edinburgh, the North British Railway ran to Kingkettle and Ladybank.
There are still trains between Ladybank and Edinburgh - it takes about an hour.

The current fare is £12.80, which for 37 miles is 34p per mile. 34p is 6s 10d in old money. So one mile today costs more than the whole journey when it was 1d per mile, not taking into consideration the fall in the value of money.

However £12.80 today, according to one online conversion web site, would have been worth 11p in 1911. 11p is 2s 2d in old money, so in relative terms it is cheaper today.

However the value of money is only relevant if you have some. As Maria was in the workhouse, she did not have spare cash available for travel and the parochial board would not have paid for her to go and visit her children.

I see that she died in 1917, aged just 36. To be admitted to the workhouse before the age of 30 she was almost certainly in very poor health, which was why she could not support her children in the first place.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Daonnachd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 11 August 18 14:45 BST (UK) »
From Edinburgh, the North British Railway ran to Kingkettle and Ladybank.
There are still trains between Ladybank and Edinburgh - it takes about an hour.

The current fare is £12.80, which for 37 miles is 34p per mile. 34p is 6s 10d in old money. So one mile today costs more than the whole journey when it was 1d per mile, not taking into consideration the fall in the value of money.

However £12.80 today, according to one online conversion web site, would have been worth 11p in 1911. 11p is 2s 2d in old money, so in relative terms it is cheaper today.

However the value of money is only relevant if you have some. As Maria was in the workhouse, she did not have spare cash available for travel and the parochial board would not have paid for her to go and visit her children.

I see that she died in 1917, aged just 36. To be admitted to the workhouse before the age of 30 she was almost certainly in very poor health, which was why she could not support her children in the first place.

I'm not sure exactly why Maria entered the workhouse, except that her 2nd husband had died in 1910, when she had 1 child by him and would have been carrying a 2nd. (my Dad's half-sisters). She is listed as a 'nurse' in the 1911 census, so I think she was probably working her keep there, rather than having been admitted with ill health as such. Both the children by her second husband sadly died in infancy in Seafield workhouse.

I don't exactly how or when Maria left the workhouse, if anyone knows how I could find out, I would be grateful for the info.

I expect it would be sometime between 1912 following the death of the 2nd child, and 1915 when she married for a third time, to her sister's brother-in-law. Maria actually died in the City Fever Hospital, Colinton in 1917, not Seafield Workhouse.

Given that she at least had a short period outside the workhouse while her first 2 children were growing up, I'd  like to think she did get to see them at some point (not an objective attitude, but its not always easy to totally objective is it?)

My Dad did mention her to my Mum, and I got the impression that he did have some contact, but I can't be certain Unfortunately, there is no one to ask now.

One reason why I think there was some contact, is that I have evidence that my Dad's sister lived with her stepfather - the 3rd husband - and did not move in with him until she was an adult and after her Mum had died, so  I suspect they had some contact as a family before this.

Thank you for your interest, and if anyone can give me any information about Seafield Workhouse, or the Fever Hospital at Colinton, I'd be grateful.

Just as a side point, my Dad never mentioned the two baby girls, so I can't help wonder if he ever even knew about them?

Thank you so much,

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 11 August 18 15:48 BST (UK) »
Do you have documents showing her admitted to the workhouse?
Or maybe she was simply attending the attached infirmary?

Information on the Leith Poorhouse here:
http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Leith/

From 1930, it became the Eastern General Hospital.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Daonnachd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 11 August 18 16:28 BST (UK) »
Do you have documents showing her admitted to the workhouse?
Or maybe she was simply attending the attached infirmary?

Information on the Leith Poorhouse here:
http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Leith/

From 1930, it became the Eastern General Hospital.

Hi,

No I don't have workhouse documents.

What I have found has been through the 1911 census and birth/death records.

Both Maria and the second baby are recorded as living in the Poorhouse in 1911.

I did get a couple of things slightly wrong in my previous post - sorry!

The first baby died in the Poorhouse (maybe the attached hospital) April 1910, and her father died later - in Sept. 1910. The address on his death cert. looks like a residential address rather than a hospital.

I am assuming therefore the first child was admitted to the hospital due to sickness, rather than to the workhouse?  However, the second baby was born in Seafield Poorhouse, Nov. 1910, and died there April 1912.

The admission date for both my father, and his older sister, to the school in Kettle was April 1911 - but it also shows that his sister had attended the Primary School in Cults before this. 

Do you know if, and how to access admission / discharge documents relating to the workhouse or the hospital?

Thank you so much for your help!

Kind regards,

Lindsey

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 11 August 18 17:39 BST (UK) »
The address on his death cert. looks like a residential address rather than a hospital.
It was quite common to give an ordinary-looking street address on a birth or death certificate rather than saying 'Poorhouse', to save someone, for instance, having to go through life with the stigma of being born in the poorhouse on his or her birth certificate.

I am assuming therefore the first child was admitted to the hospital due to sickness, rather than to the workhouse? 
The hospital may have been part of the poorhouse.

Do you know if, and how to access admission / discharge documents relating to the workhouse or the hospital?
I've given you the link to the City Archives in your other thread. Hospital records are likely to be with Lothian Health Board archives. See http://www.lhsa.lib.ed.ac.uk/
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 11 August 18 17:52 BST (UK) »
For the avoidance of duplication , this is the other thread about the same family
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=797454.0

Offline Daonnachd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 11 August 18 23:58 BST (UK) »
The address on his death cert. looks like a residential address rather than a hospital.
It was quite common to give an ordinary-looking street address on a birth or death certificate rather than saying 'Poorhouse', to save someone, for instance, having to go through life with the stigma of being born in the poorhouse on his or her birth certificate.

I am assuming therefore the first child was admitted to the hospital due to sickness, rather than to the workhouse? 
The hospital may have been part of the poorhouse.

I've given you the link to the City Archives in your other thread. Hospital records are likely to be with Lothian Health Board archives. See http://www.lhsa.lib.ed.ac.uk/

Thank you for this too.

Looks like I'm going to be arranging another trip to Edinburgh!

Lindsey