Author Topic: Marrying a cousin  (Read 1278 times)

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Marrying a cousin
« on: Monday 30 July 18 14:53 BST (UK) »
I was going to ask a question about the respective genetic dangers of marrying a first cousin as opposed to a second cousin. I thought that if marrying a first cousin was so dangerous, why are we allowed to marry a second cousin, only to find out that it's not illegal and possibly not dangerous.

Before starting to write this comment, I did a bit of research and found that much of what I believed was true about cousin marriages is actually incorrect. I won't repeat everything that I've learnt here today, but two interesting facts are, firstly, 10% of all marriages worldwide are between first cousins, and, secondly, one particular unspecified religion used to prohibit any marriage closer than 6th cousin. That must have taken a lot of research, soul searching and family history management before going ahead with the relationship.

I won't ask my question about the genetic dangers, as from what I've read this afternoon these seem to be still unproven if not totally apocryphal. I'm sure I will get a lot of response to this, and strongly recommend that you do a bit of reading in advance. I was very surprised by what I've learned.

Martin

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Marrying a cousin
« Reply #1 on: Monday 30 July 18 15:06 BST (UK) »
There is a long list of famous first cousins marrying! It's far more common than a lot of people believe.

See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_coupled_cousins
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 30 July 18 15:15 BST (UK) »
The problem isn't with an occasional cousin marriage; the very real genetic issues arise as a result of widespread cousin marriages occurring throughout a population repeatedly through many generations over hundreds (or more) years.
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Offline eadaoin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Reilg Chill Barróg
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 30 July 18 15:28 BST (UK) »
Also, when cousins marry, there's a higher chance of recessive gene problems in the offspring.

OH has haemochromatosis, which means that he doesn't get rid of excess iron - for most versions of this it's caused by the sufferer receiving a faulty gene from both parents. If the parents are closely related, it's somewhat more likely that both may be carriers of the same recessive genes.

Because of OH's haemochromatosis, all our children are carriers of the gene, though none are sufferers. If one of them married a carrier, statistically one quarter of their children would be sufferers. It's a fairly common gene in Ireland anyway.
(no first cousins involved - OH is an "only")
Begg - Dublin, Limerick, Cardiff
Brady - Dublin
Breslin - Wexford, Dublin
Byrne - Wicklow
O'Hara - Wexford, Kingstown
McLoghlin - Roscommon
Lawlor - Meath, Dublin
Lynam - Meath and Renovo, Pennsylvania
Everard - Meath
Fagan - Dublin
Meyler/Myler - Wicklow
Gray - Derry, Waterford
Kavanagh - Limerick

Online carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 30 July 18 15:32 BST (UK) »
My grandparents were 1st cousins,their dad's were the 2 brothers nearest in age to each other.
My dad was an only child (as am I) and we're all okay!!!

The problem as someone has said is when lots of generations marry into succesive families and offspring become in danger if inheriting gene problems from both sides of the same families.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 30 July 18 16:31 BST (UK) »
This subject has come up many times on RootsChat, and there are many posts, just put "cousins marrying" in Search.
As is well known, in 1540 parliament legalized marriages between first cousins to clear the way for the marriage of Henry VIII to Catherine Howard, although nowhere did the Bible indicate that cousin marriage was undesirable. What is perhaps not so well known is that in 1870, Darwin's close associate, John Lubbock, was elected to parliament and Darwin urged Lubbock to propose the inclusion of a question on cousin marriage in the 1871 census. It would then be established whether families in which the spouses were cousins had fewer children than the average. If so, 'we might safely infer either lessened fertility in the parents, or which is more probable, lessened vitality in the offspring.' Later it might also be possible to find out whether or not 'consanguineous marriages lead to deafness, and dumbness, blindness, etc.' The proposed census question was rejected by the House, although, in committee, the vote was forty five for and ninety two against. George Darwin, Charles's eldest son, then carried out a detailed study and found that there was no evidence that such marriages had significant deleterious consequences from the biological point of view.
[George H. Darwin, 'Note on the Marriage of First Cousins', Jl. Statistical Soc., xxxviii (1875)]

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 30 July 18 16:41 BST (UK) »
In the area of North West Essex (Saffron Walden, Finchingfield etc) I have noticed a number of first cousin/second/third cousin marriages. I think 3rd cousins and 4th (and 5th and so on) cousins marrying is more of a no brainer, and quite common if the families of the spouses lived in the village/surrounds for centuries.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 30 July 18 17:07 BST (UK) »
Again, it's not a problem if it happens occasionally in a gene pool. But cousins who are the children of cousins who were the children of cousins, and so on, going back hundreds of years... well, that does increase the likelihood of certain genetic defects. For example:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-leeds-23183102
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Offline bradburyd

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 30 July 18 17:16 BST (UK) »
See this article.

http://www.genetics.edu.au/publications-and-resources/facts-sheets/fact-sheet-18-when-parents-are-relatives-consanguinity

To quote :
"If parents are unrelated, their chance of having a child with a birth defect or disability is between 2% and 3%.
If parents are first cousins, the chance is a little higher at 5% to 6%. This is due to the increased chance that they will both carry the same autosomal recessive mutation, passed down through the family."