Author Topic: Great-great grandmother was an oprhan, how do I find out what happened to her?  (Read 2726 times)

Offline JAKnighton

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
My great-great grandmother died in 1956 at the age of 80, and her granddaughter, my grandmother is alive and remembers her well. Unfortunately her past was never discussed, my grandmother simply remembers her as a strict old woman.

Her name was Margaret McIlroy and she was born in Glasgow in 1875 but her parents, Felix McIlroy and Elizabeth McMahon, were Irish immigrants who arrived in 1870. They suffered with poor health and were sent back to Ireland at least once after applying for parish relief. Elizabeth died in 1876 and Felix died in 1879.

Margaret was an orphan by the age of four. She had three living older siblings; Ellen born 1865, Patrick born 1870 and Matilda born 1873.

I can't find Margaret in the 1881 or 1891 census. The next record I find for her is the birth of my great-grandmother, Matilda McIlroy in 1894. She was illegitimate and her father's identity is still a mystery.

Margaret then marries a Nathaniel Gunn in Glasgow in 1896. I can find her living with her husband in the 1901 and 1911 census. I also have her death record from 1956.

What I want to know is what happened to her as a child. Did she go to an orphanage? Did she get to stay with her siblings? Where would I go to find out such a thing?

Some more helpful details;

Her siblings all lived to adulthood and I have found marriages for all three, and death records for Ellen and Patrick.

I believe that I have found Ellen working as a domestic servant in Glasgow in 1881.

One detail my grandmother does know about my great-great grandmother is that she had ties to the Labour party. For some reason I find this quite significant.

Any help on this will be much appreciated.
Knighton in Huntingdonshire and Northamptonshire
Tweedie in Lanarkshire and Co. Down
Rodgers in Durham and Co. Monaghan
McMillan in Lanarkshire and Argyllshire

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
The Labour Party was founded in 1900.

What source of census records have you checked?

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Possible on 1881 census

MCILROY
MARGARET
Female
aged 5
644/4 19/ 2
Calton
Lanark

Edit: That is not her

Offline Creasegirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Have you found her siblings on the 1881 census.  Matilda is an unusual name so easier to find the right one
Ferguson (st fillans, comrie)
Garnock (lothian, fife)
Valet (london, switzerland)
Butcher (ramsgate, glasgow)
Blackbird (durham,  newcastle)
Barr (ayrshire, ireland)
Fleming (paisley)
Crone, croney ,(dumfriesshire, ireland)

Offline JAKnighton

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Great-great grandmother was an oprhan, how do I find out what happened to her?
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 31 July 18 12:31 BST (UK) »
Have you found her siblings on the 1881 census.  Matilda is an unusual name so easier to find the right one
The only sibling I have possibly found is Ellen, who was old enough to make a living as a domestic servant.

The Labour Party was founded in 1900.

What source of census records have you checked?
I have used both Ancestry and ScotlandsPeople to check the census.

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
Re: Great-great grandmother was an oprhan, how do I find out what happened to her?
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 31 July 18 14:49 BST (UK) »
There was an 1874 born Margaret McIlroy living with Irish born grandparents Archibald and Eliza McIlroy in Renfrew at 1881 (and then again as Maggie, a Muslin Weaver, in 1891, albeit her grandfather is dead by then). Have you checked/ruled out this one?

"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline JAKnighton

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 01 August 18 10:15 BST (UK) »
There was an 1874 born Margaret McIlroy living with Irish born grandparents Archibald and Eliza McIlroy in Renfrew at 1881 (and then again as Maggie, a Muslin Weaver, in 1891, albeit her grandfather is dead by then). Have you checked/ruled out this one?
Yes that one has been ruled out. Margaret's grandparents were called Andrew McIlroy and Martha/Matilda Donaghy. Granted, I only know their names and haven't checked to see if they were alive at this time. Finding that out might lead to some answers.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 09 August 18 10:12 BST (UK) »
You haven't said whether you have tried the Glasgow Poor Law records to find out what happened to her and her siblings after their parents died?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 09 August 18 17:31 BST (UK) »
Possible marriage for Matilda in Blythswood 1895 to George Jeffers

1891 census appears to have her at 50 Kent Road as a general servant