Author Topic: WDYTYA - tiny gripe  (Read 16070 times)

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
Re: WDYTYA - tiny gripe
« Reply #9 on: Monday 30 July 18 21:17 BST (UK) »
Many, many people migrated to London from other parts of Britain in the 1800s, and before and after. Yet when Barbara Windsor found a Suffolk ancestor, she acted like it was the most unusual thing ever. I suppose her immediate roots are in East London and she just was unaware that many Londoners do not come from a long line of them. I guess by 1900, about a third of London born people had at least 1 grandparent who was not born there.

Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline BillyF

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My lovely Mum about 1940
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 31 July 18 13:45 BST (UK) »
That`s very true.

I`ve 2gt gt grandparents both born Lincolnshire as far as I can tell (it`s 2 lines I haven`t fully investigated yet). They moved from Lincolnshire upto Yorkshire and then to the East End, this line has been easier to follow ,mainly because it`s late 1880s onwards.

Offline Brie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 31 July 18 14:08 BST (UK) »
Rishile,

Your comment made me smile and reminded me of this Armstrong & Miller spoof https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c65QRaR16io

Brie

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 31 July 18 15:17 BST (UK) »
That`s very true.

I`ve 2gt gt grandparents both born Lincolnshire as far as I can tell (it`s 2 lines I haven`t fully investigated yet). They moved from Lincolnshire upto Yorkshire and then to the East End, this line has been easier to follow ,mainly because it`s late 1880s onwards.

My great, great grandmother was born in Sussex but her parents moved to London in 1864 when she was a baby. She grew up in the East End. Her husband was a born and bred Londoner as was his parents but further back is French Huguenot, Norfolk and Dorset lines.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 31 July 18 15:23 BST (UK) »
Many, many people migrated to London from other parts of Britain in the 1800s, and before and after. Yet when Barbara Windsor found a Suffolk ancestor, she acted like it was the most unusual thing ever. I suppose her immediate roots are in East London and she just was unaware that many Londoners do not come from a long line of them. I guess by 1900, about a third of London born people had at least 1 grandparent who was not born there.

Aw! Leave Babs alone :D We are related in some long-winded fashion ;D
I also have links to Bures St Mary and John Constable (RA).

JC's grandmother is also my 6xgreat-grandmother ;)
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Thornwood

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 31 July 18 15:32 BST (UK) »
For me this was the worst programme I've seen where assumptions were made with no documentation for evidence. There was no evidence that 4x great grandma (Caroline) had come from Madagascar as a slave, or that she was a wet nurse or that Isaac was her owner who had become so grateful to her  that he left her property in his will. Yet Shirley jumped on all these things as being true. And did I miss something but were we ever told who had fathered her children?
As for the other side of the family didn't the researcher say that the will had probably been written after  his wife had left him and the children, and that was why money had been left to his mother but then we're told G grandma was struggling to bring up the children so that was why she'd left them with her mother in law.
I'm not sure these women were as strong and moral as Shirley thinks they are!

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 31 July 18 15:43 BST (UK) »
But don't forget, these are celebrities who mostly just want to know about their roots, not go trawling the internet or through old documents to find the information. As has been mentioned, this is to appeal to the masses, not necessarily to genealogists. Of course there are many of us but not as many as there are of the rest of the population! The programme proved so popular that they changed it to appeal to more viewers. I must admit that if I don't know who the celebrity is or don't particularly like them, I don't watch the programme!

Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 31 July 18 15:48 BST (UK) »
But don't forget, these are celebrities who mostly just want to know about their roots, not go trawling the internet or through old documents to find the information. As has been mentioned, this is to appeal to the masses, not necessarily to genealogists. Of course there are many of us but not as many as there are of the rest of the population! The programme proved so popular that they changed it to appeal to more viewers. I must admit that if I don't know who the celebrity is or don't particularly like them, I don't watch the programme!

Interestingly, I think you get a glimpse into the personality of the subject. 
On occasion, I have found the subject more appealing than I expected and have then followed him/her more closely in their career.
Or, I've quite liked someone ahead of the programme and then been less than impressed with their reactions to the discoveries.

On occasion - like, I recall, with Ruby Wax - the programme was really illuminating and shed a light on the difficulties that some people have to struggle with.

So it does have its interesting points even if you don't like/know the person being investigated - as well, of course, as the opportunity to yell at the screen at
the unwarranted assumptions,
the details on the certificates the person's missed,
the opportunities for further research not taken up by the programme,
the loose ends left irritatingly dangling,
as well as unbelievable envy at the documentation available to some lucky, lucky, lucky people.
 ;D
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 31 July 18 16:01 BST (UK) »
Some are very interesting. Cindy Crawford (US WDYTYA), a very intelligent woman. Her family emigrated to American Colonies in 1633. In 1644, her ? times grandfather came back to England as a Captain in the Parliamentary Army and took part in a siege in the West Country. Then traced back to the Emperor Charlemagne, although not described in detail.   
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.