Author Topic: Wilsher blood line, Nottingham, Joseph Wilsher  (Read 34732 times)

Offline janeo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Wilsher blood line, Nottingham, Joseph Wilsher
« Reply #72 on: Wednesday 17 October 18 14:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Skyshot1990  ,I have many photos of the Elliott family ,my greatgrandad was Fred Elliott ,married to Emily Smith ,their daughter was Ginny Elliott married my grandad Ben Smith .I do have the book ..be great to share info ...Janeo...
Smith, Wilson ,Elliot ,Ratchford Burnside ,

Offline janeo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Wednesday 17 October 18 14:58 BST (UK) »
Skyshot1990  i am also in contact with a descendant of Robert Winter and Jane ...
Smith, Wilson ,Elliot ,Ratchford Burnside ,

Offline skyshot1990

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Thursday 18 October 18 10:27 BST (UK) »
                                                                 BRAMPTON
                                                            THE RODNEY YARD

https://picturethepast.org.uk/image-library/image-details/poster/dccc001305/posterid/dccc001305.html

The Rodney Yard Brampton near Chesterfield is one of the old stopping Grounds where lots of my Mothers Relatives passed through over many years of travel, it as long since gone but by using the maps online it is easily found, if you go back in the posts I have wrote on rootschat you will find more information, Rodney Yard the Peoples and their Story's must be remembered and preserved for the future Generations, i never new of this place nor did I ever hear my Mother say She new, then one day I found it, I to have found many interesting story's of the history and the Peoples that connect in many ways to Brampton. 

Interesting the 1911 Census I believe to have Uriah and Florence is named Brampton as birth place for Uriah, I wonder if there is a connection with this place...

Name:Virah Blair(I believe to be Uriah Meakin/Blair)
Age in 1911: 30
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1881
Relation to Head: Son
Birth Place:Brampton, Derbyshire, England
Civil parish:Chesterfield
Search Photos
Chesterfield, Derbyshire, England
County/Island:Derbyshire
Street Address:Per T Parsons

Offline panished

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Sunday 21 October 18 19:00 BST (UK) »
 Hiya Sky

There are Meakin.....Makins over Brampton Chesterfield, some are Horse dealers from well back the 1800s, these to could be local farmer types,  others hawkers,  i found records on Uriah and the Blairs, i do not know who is who,  but i have found lots about the Meakins.... Makins, Blairs, plus the Woodwards, Wiltshires, and more names, i will write  the records up later so you will be able to go through them.

Offline skyshot1990

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Sunday 21 October 18 21:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Michael,

I believe I located a 1st cousin 2x removed to Uriah Meakin/Makin 1881 abt, the person believes the certificates I have to match, the stories I was told also would match with my 2nd cousins stories.

Uriah Mother would be Mary Ann Blair and father James Meakin/Makin,

"Mary Anns grandad Moses Blair came from Ireland and was a travelling quack doctor."
"Most of them were travelling hawkers"

That would mean Uriah would be a Irish travller. I was told that Uriah went to prison and then Mary Amelia Earl/Meakin 1885 abt meet another man, strangly Mary Amelia Earl/Meakin and child Florance Meakin seems to settle a lot later in Nottingham, then Joseph 1907 abt. Joseph Wilsher 1907 abt seems to be in Nottingham around 1920s, yet the rest of the family did not settle in Nottingham till 1930s-1940s.

It makes me wonder, if Joseph Wilsher 1907 abt went to Nottingham becaues of his fathers family or just to earn a more stable living.

Offline panished

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Tuesday 23 October 18 20:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Sky

The Blairs in what i read as a name that may match to what you say are more down the South Leicestershire way, 1860s, the Meakings Makins seam to me to be mostley from more up this way, there is so many people with names like Meakin makin from around the Brampton arear, i just try and find certain things that may fit, this below is only a little bit of what i have found, the Woman in some of the storys from what i have found do not get treated well, i will never write all the full accounts up, i will write more later it may help you piese things together or just let you form the bigger picture of life around the times of the people you are looking for, this is all very interesting,
 just to say i think the Meakins are more of a up this way family from maybe some kind of Hawker people, they could be mixed with Gipsies of other familys, i never have heared their name till you mentioned that the Joseph that you are looking for had a mother named Meakin, well the Meakins are around Brampton and the Wiltshires passed through there on accassions, the Wiltshires were always moving abouts, just check the census reports their all over several counties in a kind of big loop, you will see how others mostley stay around the same area like the partridge family around the Rodney Yard. I think there are many types of people who did the  buying and selling life, some gave it a go and some would of given that life up, some would of mixed with longer Hawkers and people with Gipsy Ancestry, everyday i am learning more, Genealogy is great, the more i read though the more sad it is to, somtimes i read of how the Woman get a bad deal from the men, the story is always the same, i have read some rearly bad things, i dont think i will ever write about such things. But i will write back with a bit more that may help you. I dont think a person will ever find the full truth in any story, lots went on in the past and many lies, i was always told things, i will have to tell you a few things. It looks to me though that the Blairs if it is the same ones made it to the Chesterfield way, the Meakins Makins i think was already around there, the Woodwards and Wiltshires just pop up everywhere, when you put men and women together who knows what goes on, ships pass in the night they say, it is a very interesting story that you are doing. It is possibe that none of the storys i find link up with people you are looking for but at least then you can count them out and more onwards.

Saturday 21 July 1906
Derbyshire Courier

... BRAMPTON SEPARATION SUIT. the Chesterfield Borough Police Court on Thursday, application for a separation order was made by Florence Blair, the wife of Ernest Blair, a hawker, of Rodney yard, on the ground of his persistent cruelty. The wife stated that ...she had been married nine years and had three children, respectively aged seven, six, and one years, she was granted a separation order in 1902, he thrashed her and drank all the money, he never payed a penny to support her maintenance, although he was ordered to, he leathered her Blair had 12 previous convictions another separation order was granted and a alimony of 10s a week was ordered to be payed to the wife and children.

Leicester Chronicle
Saturday 24 September 1898

At the Melton Mowbray Police Courts, Uriah Makin Hawker of Chesterfield was charged with assaulting the landlord of the Noels Arms Inn, Melton, he and his mother said that it was his father who was fighting.

Monday 16 November 1914
Sheffield Daily Telegraph
 Two Chesterfield Hawkers, Old Metal Dealers, Thomas Makin and Thomas Woodward, charged with assaulting and stealing from a farmer at Old Brampton

Saturday 2 February 1895
Derbyshire Courier

Ernest Blair and John Sampson Holland summoned for trespassing in search of conies in Walton Wood.

Friday 22 June 1883
Derbyshire Advertiser and Journal

James Meakin Hawker of Brampton
Charged with encouraging his wife in a fight with another woman.

1905 a Chesterfield Pedlar named Uriah Blair charged with assaulting a  imbecile girl of weak
intellect, sentenced to seven years penal servitude.

1903 Uriah Blair, Hawker and van dweller of no fixed abode was charged by the R.S.P.C.A. with cruelly ill-treating a horse.

On Saturday in the Derbyshire Courier on the 15 May 1920, it is wrote Frederick Wiltshire of the Rodney Yard Brampton is up for allowing two horses to stray, also mentioned in the column about straying horses being a problem in the Chesterfield area, there is also a Thomas Meakin of Banks Street Brampton mentioned who was charged for having three straying horses.

Offline skyshot1990

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Tuesday 23 October 18 21:23 BST (UK) »
Hi,

From what I know Mary Earle's  mother left her husband, and travelled back to  Leicestershire where her family were, taking the children with her.

I was told the Bliars/Meakin family would travel Leicestershire, derby and Nottingham, and even maybe more a filed.

That prison story sounds about right for what I was told about Uriah, it would also match the time of birth for my Joseph Wilsher 1907 abt and a new man in my 2xgreat gran mothers life.

Also it would seem on the marriage for Uriah and Mary, James Meakin/makin the father has passed away... So maybe that's why he goes by Blair.

Offline panished

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Tuesday 23 October 18 21:36 BST (UK) »
I will try to find more for you, they was around Lincolshire also, i will write back with more storys another day, maybe next week, its so interesting to learn of everybody, my Mothers Mother did not like other kinds of people in a certain way, not everybody, evan if they stoped of at one of those stopping yards it was said she always wanted to put the caravan away out of the way from other peoples, you was told wrong when you said they settled down in Nottingham and before that they were Hawkers and before that they were Gipsies, the Wiltshires to a man always to themselfs would be Gipsies, i could show you records of all the big top names who are also known as Hawkers, the person who told you never listoned to Old People, in way back in yeares who knows like i said before maybe the Wiltshires married into a type of Gipsy family in the 1700s, i am sure you will find out, which ever way that story goes as nothing of vallue to me, everybody talks about the great direct line that makes you who you are, well i was born from a Woman so i guess that makes me a nobody, that will just do me fine,  but every type of Gipsy went out Hawking, you must learn to stop learning from wrong things told to you by others. maybe i am being to hard, i know everybody is mostley only trying to learn, keep up the good work.

ps i just found some great information, you seem to already know most things, but i will write back soon, this is a great story, i just found lots more.

Offline skyshot1990

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Tuesday 23 October 18 22:25 BST (UK) »
All my stories were handed down from my grandfather.

It would seem Joseph Henry Wilsher 1929 spend his whole life in a house, with my great grandfather Joseph Wilsher 1907 abt coming straight from a travelling life style.

I can only think that's how it was told to him, or he thought it was best to discuss the subject in that way... Sadly Joseph Henry Wilsher  died in 2012 and I will never know.

It's interesting learning tho, I was always told growing up I came from Romani, and my grandfather was meant to be pround of that fact, it was one thing he always made clear. I can only believe the stories must of come straight from my great grand father Joseph Wilsher 1907 abt.

Hopefully I can keep finding links and bridge the missing gap with time.