Author Topic: Wilsher blood line, Nottingham, Joseph Wilsher  (Read 35275 times)

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Wilsher blood line, Nottingham, Joseph Wilsher
« Reply #81 on: Wednesday 24 October 18 00:30 BST (UK) »
"Joseph Wilsher, 39, a hawker, of 8, Fairholme-terrace, who had been found lying on the pavement in Bridlesmith-gate" (born 1907)

Published: Tuesday 02 July 1946
Newspaper: Nottingham Evening Post

https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk

If you register you get 3 free articles, don't know if you have read this one?

Amended I see it has been found already.
Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline panished

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Wednesday 24 October 18 23:18 BST (UK) »
All my stories were handed down from my grandfather.

It would seem Joseph Henry Wilsher 1929 spend his whole life in a house, with my great grandfather Joseph Wilsher 1907 abt coming straight from a travelling life style.

I can only think that's how it was told to him, or he thought it was best to discuss the subject in that way... Sadly Joseph Henry Wilsher  died in 2012 and I will never know.

It's interesting learning tho, I was always told growing up I came from Romani, and my grandfather was meant to be pround of that fact, it was one thing he always made clear. I can only believe the stories must of come straight from my great grand father Joseph Wilsher 1907 abt.

Hopefully I can keep finding links and bridge the missing gap with time.

Sky

I hope you find those links to.

Offline panished

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Saturday 27 October 18 11:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Sky

Read through this research that someone was doing several yeares ago, it is two pages long.... so do not forget to click on the second page at the bottom of the first page to read the full accounts of the information. i will put more story's on soon to help you, i know you have already done much research, why do you not just put it all on in one long story. I know you have collected much information, it does not matter if you have made any mistakes, people in the future will always update such things, just say what you are here to say, everything is good, all that matters in genealogy research is the truth, i will try and help you for the reasons you are here, your own reasons are yours alone, now isn't that a good reason in itself. If these records below are true well they are from around Brampton not Leicestershire, and from Northamamptonshire way back, it is stated Moses may be born in Tyrone Ireland or evan Northampton, A most interesting family are the Blair's, also when you said Uriah Meakin Makin was an Irish Hawker, well this must meen the Meakins Makins are from Ireland also, I know you said Uriahs mother was a Blair, this though would not make Uriah Irish, what do you meen, will you put all the truth on in one go, if you know the answers to lots of the questions you ask would you please tell me, instead of asking about them. Alls good i just wish to learn. From your first post i new you already had a grip of the things you said you were researching. Also it is stated in the link below that  Moses Blair married Ann FORD YKS Halifax 12 April 1819. Do they have that about right, if so have you collected any information on her side of the family. I am sure this road as manys the turnings. Through reading what must be thousands of acounts in record storys over about three years, none stop, i have to say you may use names to fit most scenario's, some will be right some will be wrong, besides from the basics i have to say only the real deal researchers know what they are dealing with, but i must say genealogy is a pastime that is most worthwhile.

https://www.british-genealogy.com/threads/61309-Thomas-Smith

I found this record below from 1871 that may confirm one of the acounts in the records from the link above

http://www.cotyroneireland.com/census/CensusStraysEngland.html
Civil Parish Brampton Ecclesiastical parish St Thomas Derbyshire
Moses Blair Age 76 Birth abt 1795 Head Tyrone
Ann Blair Age 76
Birth abt 1795 Wife born Cottingham Northamptonshire
Robert Blair Age 50 Birth abt 1821 Son born Cottingham Northamptonshire

Offline skyshot1990

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Saturday 27 October 18 13:08 BST (UK) »
As of now my understanding of the Blair/Meakin family are extremely limited...

I have had some messages from people off ancestry, and contact with my cousin, once I have time I need to check news reports and records, to confirm or disprove stuff.

From what I understand as of now Uriah mother was a Blair and her family came from Ireland and were travellers.

Offline skyshot1990

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: Tuesday 30 October 18 12:10 GMT (UK) »

https://www.british-genealogy.com/threads/61309-Thomas-Smith

I found this record below from 1871 that may confirm one of the acounts in the records from the link above

http://www.cotyroneireland.com/census/CensusStraysEngland.html
Civil Parish Brampton Ecclesiastical parish St Thomas Derbyshire
Moses Blair Age 76 Birth abt 1795 Head Tyrone
Ann Blair Age 76
Birth abt 1795 Wife born Cottingham Northamptonshire
Robert Blair Age 50 Birth abt 1821 Son born Cottingham Northamptonshire

I believe the link, to be the same Family as I talk of. I will add, I do believe Moses Blair to have come from Ireland, I have talked to a direct family member of that Blair line, my second cousin also has first hand information from my 2xgreat grandmother who travelled with Uriah and his parents.

If some of the Blair family came from Ireland, and some travelled around in Vardos, It would be fair to say they could of been some sort of Irish travellers.   

"Mary Ann Blair and James Makin certainly moved around a lot, Mary Anns grandad Moses Blair came from Ireland and was a travelling quack doctor. He is the furthest back I can take the Blairs. Most of them were travelling hawkers."

"Mary Earle travelled with the family caravans.  Her job was to groom the horse..."

I have mostly started putting information about these people becaues they are connected to my 2xgreat grandmother Mary Earl 1884. To the best of my understand, they are no relation to me by blood. It dose build a image of travllers and people in and around the Midlands between 1800s-1900s.

Any information for the Meakin/Blairs i find, I will be handing over to my 2nd cousin to aid her, or used in finding my missing link... I do have messages from people but becaues it's from private messages and they are direct relations, I post limited things.

Leicestershire-From what I was told Mary Earl mother left her husband for another man, the new mans family were in  Leicestershire, this is where Mary Earl meet Uriah.

I am just waiting on my fathers DNA, and in the comming weeks I will be doing my Y-dna. With more DNA, reocrds and hard reseach I hope to continue my progression

Offline panished

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: Wednesday 31 October 18 00:46 GMT (UK) »
I have been looking for Moses and related story's, the Blairs as a name are all over, many from Scotland, everything points to Moses being from Ireland, as in he must of said he came from Ireland on the census reports, one time it is said he was born in Northamptonshire, do not rule this out.

The truth i think in who a person is in life, is truthfully a simple answer, from researching i have found everyone is mixed, it as more than likely been this way from the first time a man set eyes on a woman, if you were born into the local population living a local persons life evan thoe you may have a mixed ancestry of several different cultures, you will still always be a local born and bred, you can be a person of say a travelling culture in your own life time who moves away from your ways, you are then just a person of that culture living a local life, your grandchildren who marry locals and live the same life are locals with cultures of several different kinds of  ancestry, you can use this method of thought in any combination with all of the mixed ancestry you may find, i will write back in a few days with the information i have found while i have been researching for you.

Offline panished

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: Thursday 01 November 18 22:06 GMT (UK) »
part one

Hi Sky

These are just Extracts of story’s that need more research, I think if you can place Thomas Blair as a relative of Moses then you may for certain say Moses was of Irish decent, you will read how Thomas is like the many records of the Irish Tinsmiths of old that I have come across in my researches, I have also read of them wed to Gipsy family’s, I have read such records in the Archives, Moses though, well he is an enigma, he sure is a Legend, more research needs doing by real experts to confirm his Irish ancestry or English maybe, or both, the answer to some of the questions may lay with his wife. I will only now in all my researchers do extracts, I think to many people are lazy and need to join a web site and do the research themselves, so much is lost through just using what you read from the research of others, Sue once told me that many of the family trees on the Ancestry site are wrong, she said people go on Ancestry and just copy things down thinking everything is 100% true, I would recommend everybody to join the website of the newspaper archives, I known there are other ways to read the old papers for I have done them myself, but I think you should all signe up to the on-line newspaper archives, it is not expensive in the least, I will only ever now in all my researchers do little extracts to help people in a way that may lead them to research themselves, trust me you will find the most amazing accounts.

Chester Chronicle and Leeds Inteligencer  15, 16 May 1775
Mr Robert Blair, a native of Ireland, aged 91, left six sons, four daughters, 87 grandchildren, 106 great grandchildren and  six great great grandchildren.
….I put this one on above just to connect the name Blair to Ireland and to show how one name can become many.

Derby Mercury 14 December 1836
Moses Blair charged with assaults.

Derby Mercury 27 January 1841
Robert Blair charged with assault, also in 1840 he is charged with stealing.

Derbyshire Courier 6 December 1845
Moses Blair a well-known desperate characture who follows the calling of a quack Doctor, was charged with assault at the House of Correction.

Sheffield Independent 13 February 1847
Moses Blair was charged with disorderly conduct in a beerhouse at Hawley Croft, he was professing to be some sort of a Doctor, he offered to pull the toof out of any man whilst blindfolded, there then was some trouble and Moses was kicked out and a fight then took place with Moses his stick the police and the landlord, plus several people, he later admitted that liquor brought the temper out in him, he told the court he was in the Medical Line, and he was in Practice before the Battle of Waterloo. In the fight shirts were ripped from peoples backs. Wow, what a Ledgend.

Derbyshire Advertiser and Journal
18 January 1850
Samuel Blood and John Blood, tripe dealers, father and son charged with poaching.
Also in April of 1850, you will find an article on James Blair and his illegitimate child.

Derbyshire Courier 18 May 1850
Moses Blair article regarding the possession of a house.

Derby Mercury 25 December Derbyshire Courier 30 November
Ann Blair, Wife of Moses Blair, Stoney Brigg, charged with assaulting Sarah Musgrove.

Derby Mercury 26 February 1851
Talk of a fight that was to take place for a purse of money between
Chucky Harris and Thomas Blair “the bold tinker”.

Derbyshire Courier 27 December 1851
An Irish Row.
 Natives of the Emerald Isle, Blair a fighting characture was severely injured in an affray with James Kelly,

Derbyshire Courier 17 May 1851
Nathaniel Musgrove, Ann Fretwell, George Elliot, George Shaw, Sarah Musgrove, and John Musgrove charged with Assaulting Mary Blair who’s father was a tenant of the party charged, also on the 18 May the next day the story as Moses Blair of Brampton, it is regarding the tenantship of a property.

Derbyshire Courier 21June 1851
A person named Blair, better known by people as Dr. Blair, is a tenant being in arrears of rent, Blair’s goods were seized.

Derbyshire Courier 8 May 1852
Story about Harriet Blair ten yeares of age the daughter of the celebrated personage who prefixes “ Doctor” to his appellations, Harriet was accidentally drowned at Mr, Elliots mill dam at Walton, she overbalanced  while fetching water.

Derbyshire Courier 14 June 1856
Thomas Blair, travelling brazier, charged with assault.

Derby Mercury, Derbyshire Advertiser and Journal 22 July 1857
Moses Blair, 60 a gardener, charged with stealing four live fowls and two dead fowls at Crich.

Derbyshire Times and Chesterfield Herald,
29 August 1857
Samuel Blood and Mary Blood of Chesterfield, Tripe Dressers, assaulted.
 …….there is a good chance Mary was a Blair, in the link that I put up about  Moses  Blair being a tripe dealer and a Doctor plus other things, well the people on the link were discussing how Moses could be so many things, well it may be through Mary marring into the Blood family and them tripe dealers, Moses then may have taken or been given the chance at this way of making money.

Derbyshire Courier 17 September 1859
Mary Blood tripe dresser and John Blair her brother were both assaulted.

Offline panished

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: Thursday 01 November 18 22:07 GMT (UK) »
part two

Throughout the 1860s you may read of a John Blair  and his beerhouse, He's always in trouble to.

Leicestershire Mercury 28 May 1864
Thomas Blair, Tinker, charged with aiding and abetting to fight in a pitched battle.

Derbyshire Times and Chesterfield Herald 15 October 1864
James Blair was summoned for assaulting his father Moses Blair at Brampton.

Derbyshire Courier 6 May 1865
Article with a Robert Blair stated as being a sexton or a gravedigger.

Derbyshire Times and Chesterfield Herald12 August 1865
Moses Blair Brampton, medicine vender, better known by the name of Dr. Blair. Charged. On the 13 of May this story starts with Moses Blair threatening his wife Ann Blair, at Brampton,  he said he would strangle her; there is talk of a cripple.  I think she was known as Mary or Mary Ann or just Ann.

Sheffield Daily Telegraph, Derbyshire Courier  9 and 11 November 1865
Moses Blair of Chesterfield who is a “professional” itinerant doctor, Moses was making calls in the neighbourhood of Eckington and had his silver watch stolen in Staniforths beerhouse, while on his rounds.

Leicester Journal 23 August 1867
Thomas Blair, tinman and Brazier, charged with fighting.

Derby Mercury 26 June 1869
Thomas Blair charged with trespassing in pursuit of game.

Derbyshire Times and Chesterfield Heral 9 July 1870
John Blair, tripe seller assaulted, talk of the Bold Rodney Public House Brampton.

Derbyshire Times and Chesterfield Herald
31 December 1870
Inquest at the Peacock Inn. James Blair, aged seven weeks died in the arms of his mother

Derbyshire Courier, Derbyshire Times and Chesterfield Herald 21 January 1871
In the Chesterfield market place Moses and Ann Blair of Brampton, were assaulted and had their stall damaged.

Derbyshire Courier 20 July 1872
An old woman named Ann Blair wife of Moses Blair, was assaulted by a man in her garden, the man said he was the best man in Derbyshire, she said she did not care, he then struck her, she told him to face a man and not an old woman of 77 years of age.

Derbyshire Times and Chesterfield Herald23 April 1873
 Story of William Blair tripe seller of Brampton.

Also in 1877
John Blair, Labourer, of Brampton, charged with assault.

Derbyshire Times and Chesterfield Herald 7 May 1881
Births Marriages and Deaths.
May 3, Brampton, Moses Blair , aged 85.

To anybody also who may read these words.
From now on in any of my researches i will only do extracts of the things i may find, so much is lost from just people reading what they think is the full accounts of records, there are several ways to look at the old newspapers, i think it is far better to join the on-line newspaper archives, you will see them evan on Rootschat, sign up and do your own research, they do not evan charge you much, i promise anyone who reads these words you will be sure that you made the right choice, if you just want plain records stick to the census web sites that may help you, if you would like to know and understand the truth of your ancestors life, and not just what some self serving writer wrote, maybe not all of them, just join the on-line newspaper archives, you will be amazed and also learn all about the history's of the times of your relatives, evan people just trying to learn from a scholarly way..............you to, will expand your mind .https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/account/subscribe

Go on this link above and signe up, get someone a yeares membership for a present, read through the site they have helped many many people, they have people to help you to learn how to navigate their site, the census reports may hold many lies, d.n.a will only propergate those lies, it will never tell you the real truth, when say the police or the press were on to something they mostly new who was who, through the archives you will find the real truth, you may not like it but that will be the truth through history the truth will be reveled to you, do not forget that when a person is say up in court for something, anything, you can trust me when i say that for everytime say a man gets sent to the courts for say poaching you can be sure that 99% of the the other times he was poaching he never was captured, this goes for all the accounts, i know this to be true from myself just knowing these things, there will always be the odd one offs, but other wise by using what i have just telled  you, you then will be able to form a bigger picture of the real truth, do your own research, never just trust the census reports, never just trust the d.n.a for it can be twisted by bad people, if you are say a 16th cousin, maybe, well their may be hundreds of concoctions to twist about, you can nearly say anything, make any story sound real, do not forget you can almost make anything up, i have found this to be one of the real truths, maybe some people rearly do amass records of other people and twist them to just feed their dark heart, i have always tryed to help people, do your own research, in the past no one rearly ever liked any of the Gipsy people, wether you came from a long established old line or a younger more mixed one, or evan a very mixed one, this also could be the truth of today, i know in my heart this is one of the truths you must learn, respect each other and respect the Dead.

Offline skyshot1990

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: Friday 09 November 18 19:31 GMT (UK) »
I have just had Joseph Henry Wilsher 1929-grandfather, national service record turn up, there is no doubt that 8 Storer street is the correct 1939 census... Another building bloke ticked off.