Author Topic: Help me find my cousin I lost contact with.  (Read 1247 times)

Offline Sacramentum

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help me find my cousin I lost contact with.
« on: Monday 30 July 18 16:33 BST (UK) »
The other day I found out that I had a cousin named Sarah X(*) I believe she also has a sister named Helen. Can anybody help me find her on any websites so I can contact her. Thanks for the help.
Edit: I also think that she works in a school if that helps.

(*) Moderator Comment:
Edited in accordance with RootsChat policy of not publishing details of living people here, or details of people who may still be living. This is to protect all concerned from spam, identity abuse, internet abuse, etc, etc.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help me find my cousin I lost contact with.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 30 July 18 16:38 BST (UK) »
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Sacramentum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 30 July 18 16:56 BST (UK) »
I don't want to phone her out of the blue. I want to add her on a website and introduce myself that way

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 30 July 18 17:02 BST (UK) »
Hi and welcome to rootschat ;D

This is a forum for researching ancestors not living people and no living peoples names should be on your post, so I suggest you remove them before a moderator does it for you... and there is advice/help read http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=261434.0
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 30 July 18 19:39 BST (UK) »
I don't want to phone her out of the blue. I want to add her on a website and introduce myself that way

Admittedly not everyone agrees, but I think the majority of serious family historians would not put anything about living people online without their consent - in the same way as it's against RootsChat's T&Cs. This is mainly for ethical reasons, though it might also be arguable that it's against data protection rules.

I do understand that it would be a lot easier for you to put something online and wait for a response, rather than making the first move yourself, but for a lot of people, finding that stuff about themselves online would feel very threatening - creepy, stalking etc.

If you do find your cousin(s) in the phone book or electoral roll or whatever, the best approach might be to write them a letter. That way it's all completely private between the two of you, and unlike a phone call, they can take time to think about how to respond.

This isn't a situation I've had to deal with myself, but I can imagine that it's bound to feel a bit scary for you at times. But you need to make things as gentle as possible for your cousin(s), otherwise they're quite likely to run a mile.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 30 July 18 19:46 BST (UK) »

I take it that what hallmark intended is that you look up the phone directory to find her address, then write a letter. That's how it was done pre-internet. It also has the advantage of privacy. You may not find her that way as a lot of people don't have landlines now.
Cowban

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 30 July 18 19:58 BST (UK) »

I take it that what hallmark intended is that you look up the phone directory to find her address, then write a letter. That's how it was done pre-internet. It also has the advantage of privacy. You may not find her that way as a lot of people don't have landlines now.

Yes...to send her a Birthday card or Christmas card etc.......  ;D

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 30 July 18 20:01 BST (UK) »
I think one has to go to a special shop to buy a little coloured piece of paper to stick on the front of envelope!

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 30 July 18 20:45 BST (UK) »
I think one has to go to a special shop to buy a little coloured piece of paper to stick on the front of envelope!

In the olden days, when deliveries were more frequent than now, a local postal service was almost as quick as internet is now.
I second what arturk said. An approach from an unknown person is preferable by letter. Seal letter and write your name & address on back so it can be returned unopened if the person is no longer at the address.
Cowban