Author Topic: My Earliest Memories  (Read 2092 times)

Offline cristeen

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: My Earliest Memories
« Reply #18 on: Monday 06 August 18 18:58 BST (UK) »
My earliest memory is of getting out of bed in the dark, wondering what was going on. I left the bedroom and was intercepted on the landing by my aunty who returned me to bed, telling me there was nothing to worry about. I discussed this with my mum a few years ago, describing the layout of the doors, furniture etc. She is sure it must have been the night my sister was born, making me 18 months old.
The other memory I have from this period is having a very itchy & painful bottom! This had been caused by ants invading my nappy as I sat outside on the old setts.
The next clear memory is a little later, having moved from Leighton Buzzard to Guisborough (N Yorks) I was sitting on my tricycle in the large farmhouse kitchen while my father read the newspaper before work. I read out the word 'might' from the headline & promptly fell off the scooter. I have lots of memories from that farmhouse which was rented for only a few years.
I got into lots of trouble for removing some baby bluetits from their nest & creating a new one in a cardboard box in the scullery. We kept a crow with a broken wing in the loft until the wing had healed sufficiently for it to fly (my dad was a vet so we knew what we were doing) I also recall the panic when my younger brother went missing one day, the frantic search & unvoiced thought that he might have got into the drained pond which was an unknown depth of liquid mud. He was eventually found curled up, asleep under the quilt on the spare room bed in his brown anorak & red wellies. My sister had fallen in a few months earlier. I have a vivid visual memory of her dress spread out around her as she very slowly sank, my father leaning over to pull her out and the sucking sound as her bright orange wellies were left behind. I remember being cross with my younger brother & sister because they had gone into the 'forbidden' hen house and fallen though the rotting floor gaining legs full of splinters, and being worried I might be in trouble because I was the oldest & 'in charge'
Gosh I could go on for quite a while with memories from before school but will stop there.
Newson, Steavenson, Walker, Taylor, Dobson, Gardner, Clark, Wilson, Smith, Crossland, Goldfinch, Burnett, Hebdon, Peers, Strother, Askew, Bower, Beckwith, Patton, White, Turner, Nelson, Gilpin, Tomlinson, Thompson, Spedding, Wilkes, Carr, Butterfield, Ormandy, Wilkinson, Cocking, Glover, Pennington, Bowker, Kitching, Langhorn, Haworth, Kirkham.