Author Topic: DNA 2nd Cousin  (Read 1328 times)

Offline kathleenmitchell

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
DNA 2nd Cousin
« on: Tuesday 31 July 18 14:45 BST (UK) »
Hi
I am new to Ancestry DNA, it says I have a second cousin, I have been in touch with him and he assures me that we have no joint ancestor?  I am well confused, it says 235 centi, 13 Dna segments what ever that means, could someone please point me in the right direction.
Thanks
Kathy
GREENOCK.  Mitchell, Foley, Ferguson, Sweeney, Beckett, Sheekey, Branchfield, McDermid, Crighton, Canavan
LIVERPOOL. Otty, Holmes, Crighton
CO TYRONE, FERMANAGH, ANTRIM, DERRY.   Mitchell, Elliott,Dowds, Mcguire, McFall
COUNTY CARLOW. Foley, Doyle
DENMARK. Holm
WIGTOWNSHIRE.  Ferguson, Milroy, Dickson, Gunlock, Aitcheson/Hutcheson

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
Re: DNA 2nd Cousin
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 31 July 18 14:57 BST (UK) »
I would assume that was grandfather or grandmother level. No need for DNA tests.
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline Cwellan CoDown

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 31 July 18 14:59 BST (UK) »
Do you have any shared matches that could shed some light on what line of the family he comes from?

Although no joint ancestors are showing on the trees - there is the possibility that there is a non parental event somewhere in 1 of your trees (Someone's father is not who the documents say!)

Ancestry shows me as having a 2nd cousin - they are actually my 1st cousin twice removed

The chances of sharing that amount of data and not be related must be extremely slim - if even possible?
McClean, Kelly, Murray, Higgins, McAnulty (McNulty, Conalty, Kinolty), Morgan, Rafferty, McPolin (All Co Down, Ireland) Bowman, Hooper(Yorkshire)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 31 July 18 15:01 BST (UK) »
Use this tool to find the most likely relationship

https://dnapainter.com/tools/sharedcmv4

I'd be examining trees and also try clicking on the Shared Matches. it should give you clues, if the other shareds have trees.

Gadget

add- the Shared Matches facility has helped me locate a previously unknown  ancestor
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 31 July 18 15:15 BST (UK) »
Kathy, I'm currently reading a book on DNA and genealogy and I read a wonderful bit of advice recently. "Share the results but don't explain the results" . I'm sure you want to know just as much as you want your cousin to know, but just settle for finding out for yourself.

From my fairly recent but intensive studying of this subject there is something there that is different to what one of you has always been told. All the books say that you should try and get a 3rd person tested so that you get a better view of the data, but I know the costs are prohibitive. Please keep this thread updated.  If you haven't already done so, upload your data to GEDmatch.com and you will be able to compare your data with others who have had their DNA tested by different companies to the one you used. It is a very simple process. You might even find that the third person I suggested has already been tested.

MARTIN

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 31 July 18 16:11 BST (UK) »
…. I'm currently reading a book on DNA and genealogy and I read a wonderful bit of advice recently. "Share the results but don't explain the results" .

OK I'll bite. Why is that wonderful advice and isn't it a bit at odds with being on a website where the aim is to help each other for no other reason than its a good thing to do?
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 31 July 18 16:48 BST (UK) »
David, I think the writer was saying it is good to pass on information but that it is not necessary to explain it.  It was in a chapter on the ethics of genetic genealogy.  The book is "The Family Tree Guide to DNA Testing and Genetic Genealogy" by Blaine T. Bettinger.  More here:

http://www.geneticgenealogystandards.com/

"A group of individuals, including genealogists, genetic genealogists, and scientists, have been working for the past year to develop a draft of genetic genealogy standards. The document is intended to provide ethical and usage standards for the genealogical community to follow when purchasing, recommending, sharing, or writing about the results of DNA testing for ancestry. "

Martin

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 31 July 18 18:51 BST (UK) »
Martin

Thank you for the reply.

Cannot say I am overwhelmed that people who give out advice like that are setting themselves up to draft genetic genealogy standards. Perhaps they would like to look at how other sciences do things first, it might convince them of the need to explain things if they want people to follow them.
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 31 July 18 19:25 BST (UK) »
Hi
I am new to Ancestry DNA, it says I have a second cousin, I have been in touch with him and he assures me that we have no joint ancestor?  I am well confused, it says 235 centi, 13 Dna segments what ever that means, could someone please point me in the right direction.
Thanks
Kathy

That result is similar to my four closest matches who are described as ‘possible range 2nd-3rd cousins’.
These show centimorgans/DNA segments
1)  247/12
2)  234/13
3)  228/13
4)  210/12

2 is a known 1st cousin once removed - the parent is my first cousin
3 and 4 are 2nd cousins to me and 1st cousins to each other.

Number 1 appeared a short time ago at the top of the list. After enquiries, it became known that there is an adoption involved so I will probably never find the connection. It is intriguing.

Kathy, maybe there is something similar in your connection and perhaps he is unaware or does not wish to discuss it.
After mentioning the adoption, my person has gone very quiet.

Heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk