Author Topic: DNA 2nd Cousin  (Read 1331 times)

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: DNA 2nd Cousin
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 01 August 18 00:23 BST (UK) »
I have a 2 people both close to 115cm. 1 I have identified and 1 I havent.

I sent queries off to both and got a response from both , 1 was quickly solved and the other stopped responding after 2 emails once names (on my side) were shared.

I thank the 1st person. The 2nd person will or wont get back to me in the future.

My comment is 'no matter the level of connectedness you cant push for an answer from the other person'
Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 01 August 18 02:54 BST (UK) »
Martin, you say 'I'm sure you want to know just as much as you want your cousin to know, but just settle for finding out for yourself'.

The only problem with this would appear to be that the 'conundrum' might be difficult to solve unless both parties co-operate.

I know where I connect with my closest matches, apart from my 5th and 7th matches, managed by the same person at Ancestry. Using the shared match feature I know the probable line. They would appear to be 3rd or 4th cousins, so not as close as your unidentified match, Kathy.

This match has replied to me but has no tree at ancestry that I know of. She has told me that there is no time or place where we could possibly be connected.  When I suggested that it was with this particular line, the suggestion was again refuted - apart from a couple of illegitamicies, their tree was well researched, there was nothing to prove paternity was from a roving raiwayman (the family I think they are connected to travelled widely over northern England in the mid to late 19 C, working on the railways).

I would think that this was either one of her illegitamicies, or a NPE which she knows nothing about, and it was indeed a roving railwayman responsible. Either way, the conversation is closed, no further responses.

So, though I would dearly love to know how these two are connected to me, looks like I won't find out any more.

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline kathleenmitchell

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 01 August 18 08:54 BST (UK) »
Thank you everyone for your replies.  I have come to the conclusion that we had a roving grandparent  ;) ;)

I have now uploaded my Ancestry dna to GEDmatch.

Kathy
GREENOCK.  Mitchell, Foley, Ferguson, Sweeney, Beckett, Sheekey, Branchfield, McDermid, Crighton, Canavan
LIVERPOOL. Otty, Holmes, Crighton
CO TYRONE, FERMANAGH, ANTRIM, DERRY.   Mitchell, Elliott,Dowds, Mcguire, McFall
COUNTY CARLOW. Foley, Doyle
DENMARK. Holm
WIGTOWNSHIRE.  Ferguson, Milroy, Dickson, Gunlock, Aitcheson/Hutcheson

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 01 August 18 09:51 BST (UK) »
"roving grandparent".  I like that phrase. It should be added to the dictionary next time they do an update, rather than some of the trendy buzzwords that will only last a few months.

Martin

Offline medpat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 01 August 18 10:19 BST (UK) »
I have a French 2nd cousin found by DNA - he is flabbergasted but it looks like one of the ladies on his pedigree met up with one of my gt uncles during WW1.  ;)
GEDmatch M157477

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 01 August 18 11:15 BST (UK) »
I too love the term 'roving grandparent'.  :)

But the question is, who's great/grandfather, Kathy, yours or theirs? If it was theirs you don't have to worry too much, but if it was yours, you might have to do some more research. Shared matches are the only resource that ancestry provides, you may find matches elsewhere as well.

I know it comes hard to some people when they get their results back to find that their carefully researched tree is not what they thought it to be, but to me, it would be more important to find out my true roots. This is one of the best parts of DNA for me, backing up my paper research, as well as the chance of breaking down brick walls.

I thought at one stage that my great grandfather was not who he was supposed to be, I got loads of matches on my great grandmother's line, but none on his at all. Slowly one by one they are trickling in.

Either you or your match will be faced with the same - no matches at all, ever, on what you think is the correct line, and one of you will have to think again.

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go