Author Topic: Rural Sanitation Districts  (Read 838 times)

Offline nicwnacw

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Rural Sanitation Districts
« on: Tuesday 31 July 18 20:20 BST (UK) »
Hi all

I am sorting through all the documents I have  gathered and came across a Census Return with only the Rural Sanitation Ditrict filled in on the top line . It is district number 123.

I have searched Google and wiki and can find lots of info on the general topic but no list of the districts with numbers.

Can anyone help?

Sandra
Fenn from Denham Bucks and Honeywell from Downton Wilts

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Rural Sanitation Districts
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 31 July 18 22:10 BST (UK) »
Which Census Return? If you give the details maybe someone can help.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline nicwnacw

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 01 August 18 00:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Stan

I am scrolling through over 1400 census returns, I had a bit of a PC issue and the documents are all over the place. I cannot find it at the moment. If someone can point me to a list of Rural Sanitation Districts, I can match up later on.

I have found lists and maps of the districts but without the districr numbers and the handwriting is so poor that i couldn't read the place of birth of the people.

Sandra

Offline chris_49

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Father - swiving then vanishing since 1750
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 01 August 18 06:57 BST (UK) »
There's a list here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_rural_districts_in_England_and_Wales_1894%E2%80%931930

The title misleads, it is a list of rural sanitary districts and the rural district councils they involved into (there were mergers, and splits where they crossed two counties). They are arranged in the alphabetical order of the county they occurred in. No numbers though.

I don't know how to proceed if you only have a number. Do you have records which only have these, and you have no clue whatsoever where they are? I can only suggest you relocate the census records by a search on the people and then you should get some idea of where the place is. Do you really need to know which RSD a location is in, if you know the village and county?
Skelcey (Skelsey Skelcy Skeley Shelsey Kelcy Skelcher) - Warks, Yorks, Lancs <br />Hancox - Warks<br />Green - Warks<br />Draper - Warks<br />Lynes - Warks<br />Hudson - Warks<br />Morris - Denbs Mont Salop <br />Davies - Cheshire, North Wales<br />Fellowes - Cheshire, Denbighshire<br />Owens - Cheshire/North Wales<br />Hicks - Cornwall<br />Lloyd and Jones (Mont)<br />Rhys/Rees (Mont)

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 01 August 18 08:44 BST (UK) »
As far as I am aware Rural and Urban Sanitary Districts were not numbered, they just had names. This is from the 1881 Census.

Stan

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 01 August 18 09:06 BST (UK) »
I have come across this 1881 page, although it appears to show a number for the  Rural Sanitary District this is actually the Folio Number. Is this similar to what you saw?
RG11; Piece: 4884; Folio: 34; Page: 9;
Stan

Offline JohninSussex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 01 August 18 09:38 BST (UK) »
Stan, that seems a very likely explanation for what Sandra has described. 

I think it's fairly common to find an image of a census page with the headings left uncompleted. After all, the enumerator would be submitting the whole parish or other unit as a whole with a covering schedule too which would list the parish, ward etc.

The way I would work out where the page came from, if I had one of those images,  would be to do a search on Anc*y or FmyP for one of the names, and when I re-find the same page, either look at the "transcription" for the entries, or to scroll back (or forward?) page by page until I found the missing information.  Family Search should also give the address for the census record (depending on which year).
Rutter, Sampson, Swinerd, Head, Redman in Kent.  Others in Cheshire, Manchester, Glos/War/Worcs.
RUTTER family and Matilda Sampson's Will:

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 01 August 18 10:02 BST (UK) »
Sandra, if you posted, for example, the details of members of one family who appear on that page, plus the date of the census return, I am sure we would soon be able to tell you where they were.

Regards
GS
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline nicwnacw

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 01 August 18 13:47 BST (UK) »
Thank you all, I am kicking myself for not putting this retun in a separate folder and am now desperately trying to find it.

As shown in other posts the top only has district number completed and it is 123. I was hoping that there would be a list somewhere of what district that referred to.

If not I will (when I find it) look it up again as I have the RG reference and page number

Thank you all for your help and suggestions.

Sandra